Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Oldsmobile survivor!

sarkasim99

Great job, and entirely believable. Bright trim, especially stainless, is quite resilient if covered and kept out of the rain for many many years, while a questionable re-paint could have failed exactly as you depict it. Cleaning a barn-find car like that could produce just the look you've attained. Sure wish I could find one just like it.

Thanks guys, I ended up using several coats of Rustall and then hitting the body with a little rubber cement in certain areas. Primer and paint over that, then a little bit of very sticky masking tape and the paint comes up. Thanks for the feedback Lee but like Jeff pointed out, this is what I would do if I found one of these cars in a barn. Re-chrome, and clean it up a little, but drive it like I found it.

The chrome back then was triple plated & done very well. Unlike todays so called chrome plating nothing like back then. I had a 50 GMC the cab & all was rusted to beat all but the chrome it cleaned up nicely. Being this was a "Barn find" the rust would have been kept to a minimum especially if it were covered up as well. Witnessed a LOT of barn finds myself. Dead on ;)

Excellent job!

• 3 weeks later...