Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 VW Bug ... 66 to 69 Bug 8/24/17 Fotki update

Foxer

I currently have two active builds on the bench, but that has never stopped me from starting something new before. Of course, it's a car I owned ... a 1969 VW Bug. When I decided to go back to school 14 hours away in Angola, Indiana I could see that my stereo speakers would never fit in my TR4A so I got the bug. Here's the 1:1:

69 VW Front scan0027

69 VW 2  scan0026

I did some minor mods consisting new 5.5" rims with tires and an EMPI extractor exhaust system. For a couple years I've been looking for items I would need to do this right. I'm starting with the Tamiya 1966 Volkswagen 1300Beetle as I never built one and it's such a nice kit ... engine and all. I did my wife's '68 VW and scratchbuilt the new style bumpers on that. I since found the bumpers in an IMAI Volkswagen 1303S Beetle kit. This kit also had decent 68-69 tail lights. Looking at the '68 I did see it has correct rear lid for a '68 but the front is the '67 it's supposed to be .. it's a Hasegawa Volkswagen Beetle Type 1 (1967) kit.

Imia VW DSC 1107

I have looked but never found adequate exhaust pipes so I will have to build those from solder. When looking at the 69 I realized the hood and engine lid were reshaped with flat bottoms to clear the new bumper. With both pieces opened in the Tamiya I had to opportunity to do this easily. I started sanding the engine cover but found the Revell VW Street Machine kit had the proper lid. Even though it is a smaller scale (1/25) it fit the 1/24 Tamiya well. It will just need some strips along the edges to fit perfectly and the shape is better than the modified old lid would be.

revell VW DSC 1108

69 Bug DSC 1109

The front lid will still need some body work as seen in these photos.

69 bug brochere scan0023

69 Bug DSC 1105

Edited by Foxer

A small update ... the lids are about done ... just a little rounding of the rear lid edge. I started to shape the rear lid from the Revell VW Street Machine

but It's a 1'25 and a bit narrow, so I just flattened the Tamiya lid.

lids DSC 1110

lids DSC 1111

And some primer to check mods ...

lids DSC 1115

lids DSC 1114

The rear deck is a bit off shape and doesn't have the bump out for engine clearance. We'll see when I fabricate a new oil bath cleaner.]

Edited by Foxer

Can you section the center of the Revell decklid onto the Tamiya? You'll need to switch the licence plate lights, too.

I'm not sure I want to go that far ... it would be doable, though. I'm not 100% the center section would fit well. I should primer the pink and do a shot of it. Some of the flat areas of the body where the Tamiya lid covers are exposed along the sides. All in primer will show better how it will end up looking. OK, that's my job tomorrow. :)

OK ... bear with me as I have more photos of the rear deck to decide which one I use. I promise these are the last but I combined them for better angles easier comparison.

In both images the original Tamiya engine lid is on the left and the Revell 1/25 lid is on the right.

You can see the bulge created for the '68 model year in the side shots. This is very noticeable with both side by side. The 3/4 view also amplifies the different shape.

69 VW Engine Lids DSC 1126

69 VW Rear Deck DSC 1127

I'm pretty well convinced the newer, though smaller, Revell hood should be used. I'll have to sand and smooth the lip on the body for a smoother transition.

Edited by Foxer

If it's any consolation, those decklids don't fit that well on the Revell Beetle in the first place.

haha .. nor much else either I suspect. At least the ends of the inner body sculpt around the edge (why can't I think of a name for this?) matches well. I've been adding thin pieces to the edges and a little putty to widen it a bit. The Revell hood is also short but hopefully with the bumper will look ok. At least it covers the engine opening. The newer shape just makes SUCH a difference I have to use it!

Edited by Foxer

Cool project Mike!

It's always fun bashing different kits together to achieve the model/year/trim level of our 1:1s ;)

Does the IMAI kit really represent a Super Beetle with the correct rounded/bulged nose and front strut suspension? I've heard the actual styrene differs from the box art.

I need to replicate a '72 Super someday...

Does the IMAI kit really represent a Super Beetle with the correct rounded/bulged nose and front strut suspension? I've heard the actual styrene differs from the box art.

I need to replicate a '72 Super someday...

I figured it was best to post photos of the imai kit to kit reviews, so here's a link. This one does have the curved windshield. Also the new front and rear lids look correct as do the tail lights and bumpers. I'm not a Super Beetle expert, so it's just the way it looks to me. This kit is probably your best bet to do your 1:1.

The box art does seem to represent the kit well to me.

Edited by Foxer
spelling

I figured it was best to post photos of the imai kit to kit reviews, so here's a link. This one does have the curved windshield. Also the new front and read lids look correct as do the tail lights and bumpers. I'm not a Super Beetle expert, so it's just the way it looks to me. This kit is probably your best bet to do your 1:1.

The box art does seem to represent the kit well to me.

The big round "elephant foot" taillights are '73 and up. However the '73-75 Super with the curved windshield also has a different hood. (shorter, and the fresh air vents are in the cowl, 71-72 has a longer hood with vents in the hood) You would need to section the hood. And seeing as the Revell is 1/25 ish, and Imai is 1/24... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Weather has been gorgeous here, but I have been working! A lot of detail painting .. this kit has a LOT of parts! The 1/24 engine lid is about done and fits good. I even got the hinges on ... first time for this type of hinge for me, believe it or not. I'm waiting on some .03" triangle shapes to put back the fender welts I sanded off on the left side. Along the way I have noticed another change in the rear starting in '68 when the engine lid was changed. The piece between the fenders below the lid sloped down at a steeper angle and looks like the back fenders do also. It will look better once the fenders are on.

69 engine lid DSC 1139 - Copy

69 engine lid DSC 1138 - Copy

69 engine lid DSC 1136

The engine is coming together too .. beautiful engine in this kit!

engine DSC 1140 - Copy

Edited by Foxer

To backtrack a bit, the first time I glued the hinges with 5 min epoxy they broke loos as I tried to slide the lid off ... the bend in the hinge hit the curve in the lid and pried it loose. I cut the ends shorter by about 1/8 inch and attached them with JB Weld after sanding down to bare plastic ... another mistake on the first glue. Today they slid off with just a minor bind on one side. :) Hinges seem to be my nemesis after all the trouble on hinges for my daughter's '85 GMC Van!

I also got the paint and am ready for final sanding and priming!

paint DSC 1146

Now I'm debating how I get the VOLKSWAGEN nameplate on the hood. Right now I'm thinking just a black decal since chrome is undoable with a decal I make. There doesn't seem to be any PE sets with the script I need.

Edited by Foxer

One way I overcame the hinge issue with the VW is that I did it somewhat more like the 1:1 where it folds sorta into the engine compartment. Basically a reversal of how you have it now. Pointed ends attach to the body and the "roller" section attach to the decklid. Wish I had a pic as the Bug is now in Florida with it's new owners (Driver and 1:1 It's modeled after). You are doing a great job and keep them updates comin'! :)

30224920009_large.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how many differences there are in one model year of Volks to the next.

Charlie Larkin

I know many of the differences from having three of them, but this one is amazing me with those I wasn't aware of until I started. I did my wife's '68 20 years ago but never saw the engine lid difference. Now she informs me her's had bumperetts ... no way I'm going back to it ... don't think. anyway. :D

Maybe VW Dave will be checking in and let me know what I'm missing. :blink::o

Edited by Foxer

To the engine now ... the plug wires were giving me thoughts on how to do it with the nicely detailed distributor from the kit. I did insert some phone wire insulation into the cylinder cover at the spark plugs .. this will improve the look there hopefully ...

Distributor-Plug Wires DSC 1152

The distributor has small knobs at the wires and drilling them would be difficult. I decided to use some RB Motion Spark Plug Boots and used a trick I learned here to drill thru the center of the distributor knobs. This will let me use small wires into the distributor to receive the boots and plug wires. We'll see if all this work pays off later ...

plug boots DSC 1156

An aluminum tube drilled out on one end to slip over the knobs on the distributor and put the drill into the center ...

Distributor-Plug Wires DSC 1151

distributor-plug wires DSC 1149

Edited by Foxer

Who makes that white 66 kit? I'm working on converting a 69 to a much older version and its proving to be a tremendous amount of work. If I can locate and get my hands on one of those 66 kits I might have an easier go of it. Plus that kit has some killer engine detailing compared to the 1985 Revell release of the 69.

Who makes that white 66 kit? I'm working on converting a 69 to a much older version and its proving to be a tremendous amount of work. If I can locate and get my hands on one of those 66 kits I might have an easier go of it. Plus that kit has some killer engine detailing compared to the 1985 Revell release of the 69.

This is the Tamiya 1966 Volkswagen 1300 Beetle I'm using for this build. It's 1'24. The engine is much better than Revells and the '66 body is older. What year are you making?

Edited by Foxer

Maybe VW Dave will be checking in and let me know what I'm missing. :blink::o

My real '68 came to me with early bumpers on it, so I've forgotten about the bumperguards that would have been there. :D

The only difference that is needed, aside from the upright headlights, would be the fuel filler door in the right front quarter panel. The early '68s had a finger notch for opening it, but the later ones didn't because a cable release setup was added(lever was in the glovebox).

Here's a '69 with the later gas door:

1064898.jpg