Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEEDED : Challenger I, 1959 UN-SUPERCHARGED engine pix

Mickey Thompson's Challenger I made its FIRST appearance on the salt in the UN-BLOWN state, WITHOUT THE MASSIVE SCOOPS. It had almost entirely different bodywork, and differently configured engines, of course.

I'm still looking for any shots of the details of the timing covers, water pumps and plumbing and the fuel injection of the Challenger I LSR car, in its UNBLOWN, 1959 iteration. I've got enough to fake most of the car, as well as another batch of photos forwarded by another member (with some much appreciated new info), but I'm still lacking clear timing cover shots. The injection appears to be cast-alloy Hilborn manifolds with staggered intake trumpets / velocity stacks, but I can't really make out the injection plumbing or FI pumps. Can't see the valley covers used, either.

I've already done a pretty thorough web search...kinda hoping someone might have some un-published snaps in their private stash.

If anyone just KNOWS what front covers, FI pump drives and water pumps were actually on the UNBLOWN car, that would also be very helpful.

Thanks, Bill

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm guessing you have the pic of Mickey standing on the left side of the car at the Beverly HIlton Hotel?

Yes sir, thank you.

I also have 2 under-construction shots that appear to show stock timing cover / water pump housings on the front engines, but what appears to be an alloy timing cover on the rt. rear engine...a timing cover I've never seen before. In another one, the valley covers appear to be OEM stamped steel, but I don't know if the car was run that way. A late '59 Hot Rod has a color shot of the car at Bonneville with the center of the body off, but what I need still isn't quite visible. Probably the rest of that film roll has what I'm after.

Hmmmmm...maybe an interesting way to build the model would be as it looked under-construction.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The blown version used Cragar chain-style blower drives which obscure much of the front of the blocks, and I don't know what the water pump / cam timing-chain setup was behind them.

I have the hard-back Thompson / Griffith Borgeson "Challenger" book too. It also doesn't have quite what I'm looking for.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks Casey. That's one I didn't have. It does show the timing covers that would have been behind the blower drives. One VERY interesting thing here is the first 100% proof I've seen that the car WAS rebodied completely, except for the canopy apparently, for the blown version. The pretty, swoopy lines of the original body were straightened out in, most likely, an attempt to reduce some of the drag. The new blower scoops would have added a tremendous amount at around 400MPH.

This photo also shows a remote oil-filter installation, and what appears to be a different rear wheel-cover than what I've seen previously. The finned Halibrand wheels were reputed to howl like sirens while Goodyear was testing the specially developed tires for the car. The covers stopped this and removed a little drag too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I am doing the same build. I sent you a PM with a link to my Photobucket account. I have many pictures of this car. When I was at the Biklletproof in 2011 I found an old book with 20 pages about the construction of the car. I scanned it in and all the photos are there as well as the text. Also when I had te front and rear wheel covers made the modeler that made them for me on his lathe made a blueprint that is there. You are welcome to any on the info you might need. I didn't know the car had rear wheel covers unbtil PeteS made the wheel covers for me. He found a picture of the car that Showed them. I was pleansantly surprised to see them and very happy when he made them for me while making the fronts. Hopes this helps some. Also tons of pictures fro my build.

here is the linkl again in case you didn't get the PM.

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Zbuckster/library/bModel%20Car%20Build%20Up%20Gallery/Racing/Salt%20Flats/Challenger1959

You are doing a fine job on this I am really enjoying watching you build the same car at the same time I am.