Model Cars Magazine Forum

ATTENTION ALL MODELERS!

Danno

Just filled out my online registration for the Desert Scale Classic. Missed last year, but I will be there after the 200 mile drive. Just wish my 1:1 1970 el camino was up for the drive, but with no floorboards its a little to Flintstone for my taste!!!

Just filled out my online registration for the Desert Scale Classic. Missed last year, but I will be there after the 200 mile drive. Just wish my 1:1 1970 el camino was up for the drive, but with no floorboards its a little to Flintstone for my taste!!!

Jim, we look forward to seeing you this year at DSC, you would probably have to buy new shoes for the return trip home if you did drive the El Camino down :lol:

Not a better place to spy on .. and see how it's done RIGHT! :)

Perhaps. But we don't do so badly ourselves.

Tom and gang do a great Semi-NNL format. We do a different format, so there's not really a lot of cross-pollination.

Those weren't defectors, Tom. They were spies. :)

Hey, when folks that run other shows have come, we've invited them to come in with us early and watch the whole process. In fact I did a presentation of the inner workings of NNL East at GSL a few years ago. There are no trade secrets, we're all in this one together.

We have a lot more issues to handle than most shows, mainly due to the sheer size of the show and numbers of models, vendors and people we process. We keep serious counts, track timing and have a whole set of metrics we work to. And we beat the tar out of ourselves at our post show meeting every year!

Tom and gang do a great Semi-NNL format.

I don't get Semi-NNL? We are the ONLY NNL that has official permission from the original Toledo crew. And with that was the promise to stay as close to their formula as we could, and we honor that. We only charge for admission, not to display models. We give out a very limited number of awards (actually 6) as plaques not trophies and try our very best to keep it a non-competitive, friendly and sharing environment in the spirit of the original group's intent.

Some of the 'other' NNLs have taken the name but have done their own thing. Some are pretty much people's choice contests with many awards, charging a per model entry fee and handing out real trophies. There are some that say that 'nobody would come if there weren't a lot of trophies'. And there are other shows that originally called themselves an NNL and later changed their name once they saw they weren't following the formula.

Hey, when folks that run other shows have come, we've invited them to come in with us early and watch the whole process. In fact I did a presentation of the inner workings of NNL East at GSL a few years ago. There are no trade secrets, we're all in this one together.

We have a lot more issues to handle than most shows, mainly due to the sheer size of the show and numbers of models, vendors and people we process. We keep serious counts, track timing and have a whole set of metrics we work to. And we beat the tar out of ourselves at our post show meeting every year!

I don't get Semi-NNL? We are the ONLY NNL that has official permission from the original Toledo crew. And with that was the promise to stay as close to their formula as we could, and we honor that. We only charge for admission, not to display models. We give out a very limited number of awards (actually 6) as plaques not trophies and try our very best to keep it a non-competitive, friendly and sharing environment in the spirit of the original group's intent.

Some of the 'other' NNLs have taken the name but have done their own thing. Some are pretty much people's choice contests with many awards, charging a per model entry fee and handing out real trophies. There are some that say that 'nobody would come if there weren't a lot of trophies'. And there are other shows that originally called themselves an NNL and later changed their name once they saw they weren't following the formula.

Tom,

Our "spies" gave very favorable reports! We can't imagine the size and volume you deal with. And yet, you always achieve the pinnacle of events! It's amazing.

Our "spies" loved their visits to your model-mecca, and had the best times. (You and your crew were exceptionally gracious, as always.)

What I meant by 'semi-NNL' was that the original NNL concept was no judging, no awards. Period.

Any event, even NNL-East, that gives out any award is not a pure 'NNL.' NNL-East is probably about as close as any gets, but it's still not pure, according to the origins of the concept.

Many other self-designated 'NNL's are that in name only and many of those have deviated much farther from the pure concept. There are some events that are called 'NNL' that have totally lost the idea. All of which has created a great deal of confusion.

Ours is not an 'NNL' style event and we've never called it one. We choose to do the old-fashioned critical judging and award-awarding. It works for us. I'm not sure it would work for your venue and I'm not sure NNL-style would work for our venue. Life's just different in different places. (Notice I avoided the worn-out cliché 'different strokes for different folks.')

But make no mistake, no slight was intended in any way and I hope you didn't perceive it so.

(Maybe the week of the run-up to the event is not the time for abstract discussions ... I know I'm tired, and I'm certain you must be, too!)

As always, we have all the respect in the world for you guys and what you do. We just wish we could attend one of your events! And you're always welcome at ours.

Dan