Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Charger like unit

Frank I give you credit for trying this and coming up with what you did. However, IMO at this scale parts this small 3D printed are a fail. The grain/texture on a piece that small will kill its visual appeal after paint is applied. Also, trying to smooth out the texture on an item this small with any level of detail remaining will be next to impossible.

Frank I give you credit for trying this and coming up with what you did. However, IMO at this scale parts this small 3D printed are a fail. The grain/texture on a piece that small will kill its visual appeal after paint is applied. Also, trying to smooth out the texture on an item this small with any level of detail remaining will be next to impossible.

Thanks, true but theres stuff being printed smaller than this and theyve come out great but this wont be hard to clean up found out they sell sanding sticks with points on them thats why i returned to making small items im also looking at a sand tumbler for projects like these

There are tons of items printed smaller than this, looking great as a highly detailed model part in this scale? I have yet to see such a thing. I have seen 3D printed turbos, intercoolers, manifolds, etc. in 1/25 scale and while they look cool during "mock up" they are more a "novelty" in reality with the grainy surface texture they exhibit. You cannot yet achieve very crisp highly detailed pieces of this size in this scale right now (think injection molded or resin cast quality). A turbo or procharger like unit in 1/25 would be very small and highly detailed. Trying to rid the printed piece of its texture in this size would simply remove any of that detail you did manage to print and ultimately be a waste of time and effort. You will essentially wind up with a sanded down unrealistic blob. Gook luck with your endeavor however.

something looks really wrong with the clocking of the discharge tube to the gearbox. it needs to be turned more. would be nicer if it were 2 parts so you can clock it where you need it. most 1:1 units you can

couldnt find any pictures of that otherwise it would be 2 pieces

I work for a company that owns and sells 3D printers. We use polyjet printers that deposit very thin layers of liquid acrylic and cure them with UV lights. These parts can be printed extremely fine, and with a gloss finish that can be finished with minor sanding. Something to look into perhaps.

Thanks,

Scott

I was going to post a pic of these.... I ordered and they arrived yesterday!

One of the 3 5ths i sold finally showed up on Facebook i wanna see pics of this too i got them in my cart also thinking of getting a tumbler to make smoother parts

Not sure if I should post this or not. I happend to stumble onto this a few days ago , then I seen this thread last last night( I don't get to this section that much )

But it might be of interest before another manufactuer gets to invested

Not mine nor do I know the seller - just passing along info

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Resin-Pro-Charger-Supercharger-with-pulley-and-belt-kit-Street-or-Drag-/181133765080?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2a2c69e9d8

Edited by gtx6970

One of the 3 5ths i sold finally showed up on Facebook i wanna see pics of this too i got them in my cart also thinking of getting a tumbler to make smoother parts

After reading some of the posts on the Shapeways forum, I borrowed by son's rock tumbler and started a test to see if it might work to smooth down FUD build lines. I'm not using an actual FUD part to test with, but rather a resin casting that has some sharp corners and details. I mainly want to see if the process with smooth the part satisfactorily or just chew up all the details.

After reading some of the posts on the Shapeways forum, I borrowed by son's rock tumbler and started a test to see if it might work to smooth down FUD build lines. I'm not using an actual FUD part to test with, but rather a resin casting that has some sharp corners and details. I mainly want to see if the process with smooth the part satisfactorily or just chew up all the details.

saw a guy in a transformer forum use one with 600 grit medium and his parts looked great

Those superchargers look terrible. I'd cannibalize a kit before I bought one of those. Can't cost much more, and it leaves you with the rest of the kit for your stash of spare parts. Same problem as the early TDR Offenhauser engine.

Those superchargers look terrible. I'd cannibalize a kit before I bought one of those. Can't cost much more, and it leaves you with the rest of the kit for your stash of spare parts. Same problem as the early TDR Offenhauser engine.

good for you.