Model Cars Magazine Forum

IROC Race Car (74 Camaro)

gonzo64nova

I was wondering if anybody knows what would be a good kit to use for a chassis /wheels/tires/etc for an Iroc style race car (IMSA maybe?). I am wanting to do a 74-77 CAMARO version. I also need info on the wheel flares ,if they come in any kit or resin. I also need some suspension /under hood shots, I have no clue what they used back then under these cars. Any help or info with pics or builds would be great. Thanks in advance.

post-1439-0-09214200-1366297624_thumb.jp

Let the building begin!

Edited by gonzo64nova

Google images is your friend. I believe they were tube-framed NASCAR styled type cars IIRC. Some research should find out if they had truck-arm live axles or independent rears, they all used a basic GM 358 ci engine. Probably your best starting point would be one of the ASA cars from Revell?

Yes, Google is your friend for sure. A good starting point for a chassis would be any of the old Monogram NASCAR kits. The IROC chassis of that time was very similar. IIRC They were a Banjo Matthews chassis with Camaro parts hung on instead of Thunderbird or Grand Prix parts.

The Promo's I have do show a chassis like the cup cars.

(True Value Hardware was a sponsor and sold promos 86,88,90,92/94??

86 Camaro Only red. 88 Camaro red, blue, white, and black.

I think the 90 Daytona's were the same 4 colors.

Last issue was available in all 12 colors as I recall)

There is a pretty obscure japanese kit (Otaki I believe) of a '74 IROC Camaro. I have it in my collection (no it is not for sale). I will post photos when I get a chance. HRM makes a nice resin trans-kit to build the '73 Porsche RSR.

I have the Otaki kit and think it would be a great start for this car.

The True Value series would seem to be a good start for either the Camaro or the Daytona. These were plastic body kits and seem pretty close to 1/24. I think a Monogram Thunderbird would be a good chassis to swap under either of these. True Value also sold an Avenger. This was a metal body kit that I can't really say much positive about.

Mike

There is a pretty obscure japanese kit (Otaki I believe) of a '74 IROC Camaro. I have it in my collection (no it is not for sale). I will post photos when I get a chance. HRM makes a nice resin trans-kit to build the '73 Porsche RSR.

Here are the photos I promised. Looks like I mis-remembered. The kit appears to be a '79 Camaro.

post113430552927001366666572-vi.jpgpost1134300418710013666665781-vi.jpg

Edited by afx

Just Cross your fingers and Search!!

They will come up, but not often.

Look for them on All sale/auction sights.

Just be prepared to PAY for them!

Not sure who owns the Otaki tooling now, so can not even guess

on the likely-hood of re-issues coming anytime soon, or ever again.

Bought mine in Pittsburgh in 79-80!!

Not much detail on either chassis or interior.

It was designed for batteries & motor. Has a 2 speed setting too. 4 AA batteries!!

I have heard it was molded in Many different colors.

Mine is dark blue. The other mag reviewed a re-issue and said it was Pink!

Here is my built.

Just uploaded it to p-bucket transfer holder.

IROC-Mario-Ls_zps5eb5497b.jpg

I added the Rollbars from an Original issue Dukes Charger. (Same time frame)

That one came with full Race roll bars, while the IROC only had a Hoop behind the rear seat.

(If it even had that!! it was 79-80 after all!!)

The folder for it.

http://s145.photobucket.com/user/EdselDan/library/Models/IROC%20Camaro%20Z?sort=3&page=1

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I've just completed a majority of the body work and its starting to look like my reference material. I scratch-built the wheel flares,the front spoiler, and the plates that cover the door handles and license plate opening. I've also incorporated a flange on the fender flares as these were pop-rivited on the 1.1 cars. I still need to make the headlight covers. The first generation of the IROC Camaros were basically built off of the stock chassis with a few up-grades. Im using 2 Camaro kits and a Dale Ernhart Monte Carlo to create this race car. I just ordered a set of Minilite wheels for this build ,the only ones that really belong on this ride. As crude as these cars were I think they look bad ass and with their 500hp small blocks they probably were a blast to drive. Enjoy the pics and thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.

post-1439-0-84875700-1366940650_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-76749600-1366940679_thumb.jp

post-1439-0-11588000-1366940702_thumb.jp

Edited by gonzo64nova

Bill, That's a great start. Where are you getting your mini-lites from? I know Replica & Miniatures has some very nice ones but they don' t have quite enough offset for this car.

JC , Thanks....I found the minilites on ebay,I just did a search and they popped up. R&M stuff is very high quality, it might be worth widening them yourself, I do it all the time with my wheels. Bill

This thing is looking wicked, I REALLY REALLY like that you didn't wait around to pay top $ for a rare kit...instead you just modified and customized what was available. Good call on the R&M stuff, I often customize my wheel's to suit my need's.