Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghost Kits - Shown But Never Released

Casey

54 minutes ago, Joe Handley said:

It probably wouldn't have made it past '73 anyway and into a 4th generation. You're right with that being all for the better too, automotive styling in this country took a nosedive after '74 and never truly recovered until the 80's.

Other than a very few cars, I don't think it ever recovered.

5 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Given the numerous restraints upon design these days driven by governmental and legislative dictates, NGO's like the various insurance and "safety" constituencies, and even laws in place in other parts of the world (such as the European "Pedestrian Impact" legislation), not to mention people and powertrain packaging constraints demanded by other stakeholders in each company's management teams, design studios worldwide regularly  achieve major miracles in making cars that look as good as they do.  

Still, some do it much better than others (personally, I find the design language used on the Lexus, the Honda Civic, and several Nissan and Toyota models (as well as the most recent full size Chevy pickups)  to be repulsive, but apparently others do not as these vehicles still sell too...).   TIM

Edited by tim boyd

8 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

It probably wouldn't have made it past '73 anyway and into a 4th generation. You're right with that being all for the better too, automotive styling in this country took a nosedive after '74 and never truly recovered until the 80's.

You're probably right.  Even Volkswagen realized tha rear engines and air cooling were a dead end.

No argument at all about how styling went, though even then there were a few bright spots.  Personally, I think the Chevy Monza turned out pretty nice.

On 8/30/2018 at 4:56 PM, Casey said:

On 8/30/2018 at 5:01 PM, Rob Hall said:

Interesting...looks like the seller auctioned the Regal donk prototype from the same time also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-80s-Buick-Regal-Donk-1-25-plastic-finished-model-/302798995502

Last month i bought this one for a nice price, it is a 2 in 1 kit.

When I start this, it will be a stock version.

comp_SAM_4752.jpg.8ace6f85adf2e7b9e74acec1ad46ec60.jpg

comp_SAM_4753.jpg.d557462742fb77b63fd083d9da5e922f.jpg

The Revell re-issue of the old Monogram Buick GNX will also be released soon.

I already have done a pre-order.?

Hermann.

Edited by Hermann Kersten

On 10/18/2019 at 7:38 AM, paul alflen said:

The grapevine says Round 2 is in talks with Tim Rice to produce the Garwood refuse body from the remaining 1/10 wood master! Truck modelers if you want to see this happen, E-mail  John G. at Round 2 to make this happen!!!!!!!!! This is straight from the horse's mouth!!!!

Strait from the horse's mouth? But is it a LIVE horse or a dead horse?  Sure wish that garwood refuse body will be issued!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
49 minutes ago, 57peppershaker said:

I seem to remember a Fall Guy Firebird from somewhere ?

I posted it earlier in this topic, but since we can no longer edit posts, here is the page from the MPC Spring 1982 Catalog:

MPCSpring1982pg13.jpg.c207b64195074b6535c4a6ca5a7dac38.jpg

2 hours ago, pack rat said:

I don't believe this one has been mentioned yet.

It's a promo/friction flyer but a follow-up kit version would have been likely.  Having owned a 1:1 '69 88 I would to have seen this one.

70 Olds Delta.jpg

Do you have the actual flyer?  Something looks funny, the font used for the car names is different from everything else.  Jo-Han didn't make a Rebel promo or friction for '70 (or '69) either.  The illustration of the Rebel is off the early Eighties reissue box.  I have an original kit but will have to check it, to see if that illustration is on it also.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Do you have the actual flyer?  Something looks funny, the font used for the car names is different from everything else.  Jo-Han didn't make a Rebel promo or friction for '70 (or '69) either.  The illustration of the Rebel is off the early Eighties reissue box.  I have an original kit but will have to check it, to see if that illustration is on it also.

I don't have the flyer; got it from the 'net.  I didn't catch the Machine illustration...looks a bit suspicious.

The illustration of the Rebel was used on the side panel of the original issue box (with some lettering on the side of the car).  I'd still bet that the flyer is faked up though, the Rebel was never done as a friction or promo.  I'm not positive but I don't remember any '70 frictions either.  And where are the Hornet and Maverick?

On 10/20/2014 at 11:47 AM, Dave Toups said:

I've seen the test shots of the Revell 1/4 scale 283 Chevy and they looked great! I don't know why they never issued the kit. I know they had a deal with Chrysler at the time and did the slant 6 engine, maybe that had something to do with it?

Below are the scanned pages from Jim Keeler article in the February 1969 issue of Car Model, and here's a link to the IMCBM page with more images and info: https://www.themodelcarmuseum.org/page2.html

Rev14SBC1.jpg.4e2d8eefdd5c7a6e38671933248cd117.jpg

Rev14SBC2.jpg.ce03e57d0f3a8fe92737285560495027.jpg

Rev14SBC3.jpg.4ee74286826cff723f3b48d6fb58f08a.jpg