Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghost Kits - Shown But Never Released

Casey

Which kits were shown in a catalog or another publication and/or were announced but never actually hit store shelves?

Paul Gill mentioned the 1/16 MPC Chevy "Apache" Stepside 4x4 kit shown in the '76(?) MPC catalog:

1978MPCCatalog005-vi.jpg

And MPC's 1/20 scale '56 Ford Pickup from the '78 catalog:

1978MPCCatalog7-vi.jpg

And the Honda CRX Tuner Series kit from Revell's '04 catalog:

CRX97ghost.jpg

CRX97two.jpg

And MPC's '78 Monte Carlo kit which was only released as a promo. Dean Milano had this one on eBay not long ago:

proto79monte1.jpg

proto79monte2.jpg

1978MPCCatalog008-vi.jpg

The IMC Dodge LVT-1000:

5d3f9951-d95c-456e-94b3-05fe10bbef48.jpg

mpcatc90.jpg

Others?

The MPC T-based buggy was not 1/20 scale. I've got that same catalog; the kit is listed as 1/25 scale, with a retail price of $2.25 (same as most other 1/25 scale MPC kits at that time). And, it was produced; MPC called it the "V-Rod". For reasons known only to someone at MPC, the "V-Rod" kit included a Corvair engine, and not the VW unit shown in the catalog...

I thought I could find a picture here but can't......

My ghost car.....

The MPC Blue Flame. Sorry I can't find an illustration of it.

The rocket LSR?!! That would have been wild! As a kid, I was fascinated with rockets and jets. I remember checking out a book about LSRs in 2nd grade. I checked it out all the time. I thought the Blue Flame and Spirit of America were just the coolest things ever.

Years later, I got to see the Blue Flame at a museum in Germany. It was a complete surprise. A German friend had told me about it. He didn't have a very good description, saying it was a blue "record car". I expected to see one of Malcolm Campbell's Bluebirds.

The garbage truck was released, along with the Ryder truck also. The garbage truck was a early 70's release, and the Louisville with the Ryder decals has been done several times with different logo's.

Never seen the garbage truck kit in person..have read in several articles that it was announced but never released.

The garbage truck was released, along with the Ryder truck also. The garbage truck was a early 70's release, and the Louisville with the Ryder decals has been done several times with different logo's.

actually that garbage truck was issued...just not as the garbage truck...body itself i dont think made it into production anywhere for i would have bought several for just the body!

Interesting thread! I didn't pay much attention to announcements about new releases way back when, so most of this will be new to me. Fortunately we've got a number of people on this board who really know their moldeling lore, so I'll finally be able to catch up.

The MPC T-based buggy was not 1/20 scale. I've got that same catalog; the kit is listed as 1/25 scale, with a retail price of $2.25 (same as most other 1/25 scale MPC kits at that time). And, it was produced; MPC called it the "V-Rod". For reasons known only to someone at MPC, the "V-Rod" kit included a Corvair engine, and not the VW unit shown in the catalog...

Thanks for the correction. I relied too much on memory and a blurry picture for that one, so I edited my original post.

Never seen the garbage truck kit in person..have read in several articles that it was announced but never released.

It was never released as you said earlier. Here's the story, 'bout halfway down the page:

http://www.bonediggers.com/2-1/wlazlo/wlazlo.html

How about this Allis-Chalmers T-816? Did it ever make it through to production?:

Edited by Casey