Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghost Kits - Shown But Never Released

Casey

Years ago I had some friends who had a pair of "fintail" Mercedes sedan models.  They were curbside models with clear windows and interiors.  They had steerable wheels.  Also they had VW Vans that were from the same manufacturer.  Very nicely done models of these vehicles.

Neuhierl (JNF) "Struxy". They were very nice and 1/25 scale, but sadly put the worst promos to shame in the warpage department.
Also available was a VW Typ 34 Karmann, a Typ 3 1500 saloon and a Porsche 356.
Herr Neuhierl later founded Carrera.

Edited by Junkman

While cleaning out the garage today I found my box full of RCHTA catalogs.......Here are 4 kits I had forgotten.......any one else recall them???

I scanned the relevant page of the October '95(?) issue of SAE which showed and mentioned the American SATCO '65 Impala, as well as a '71 Petty Roadrunner from either AMT or MPC, but can't find it now. I think American SATCO also announced a '60(?) Chevy Pickup, too, didn't they?

I scanned the relevant page of the October '95(?) issue of SAE which showed and mentioned the American SATCO '65 Impala, as well as a '71 Petty Roadrunner from either AMT or MPC, but can't find it now. I think American SATCO also announced a '60(?) Chevy Pickup, too, didn't they?

The Petty Road Runner was reputed to be the ex-MPC NASCAR series kit (which I believe was actually a '72).  Ertl had killed off the MPC brand years earlier, so unless it was intended as a Buyers Choice-type issue it would have worn the AMT label.

I believe the Satco Chev pickup was to be a '66 based on the tooling for the original AMT '66 promo that had recently been discovered at that time.  Apparently it had been unearthed somewhere by someone outside of AMT/Ertl, similar to the '34 Ford pickup discovery.  The tooling is still out there.... 

While cleaning out the garage today I found my box full of RCHTA catalogs.......Here are 4 kits I had forgotten.......any one else recall them???

All American Satco with help from Model King

MGSATCO.JPG

Could the MGB be a reissue of the kit made by Fujimi or Aoshima (or some other japanese brand)?

Could the MGB be a reissue of the kit made by Fujimi or Aoshima (or some other japanese brand)?

It's the Aoshima kit, and I think the picture of the '67 is even from the Aoshima box. American SATCO imported Aoshima kits in those days, and I'm pretty sure that they did import the MGBs in original packaging. I don't have one of those, but do have one of the kits in an Airfix box...haven't looked at in a long time, but if I remember right the Airfix issue actually contains both the early and late parts.

The MG kits exist as I have both of them in Aoshima boxes, there are little race versions of both of them as well. They belonged to a "Euro Series" that Aoshima did that was a bunch of reboxed stuff. Four MGs from Airfix, the RevellAG Jaguar XK120, and Mercedes 230 Station Wagon. As mentioned American SATCO was the U.S. Distributor for Aoshima at the time and they sold a few Aoshima kits in their own packaging and make resin lump "LHD Conversions" for several other Aoshima kits.

Accurate Minatures' NASCAR 1999 Ford Taurus. Made it into their catalog, even made it into tooling, was never released. Test shots exist.

"Also announced at the show will be a new line for A-M "Start-Finish Line 2000" ­ these will be 1/24 NASCAR racers. The first one out will evidently be the Valvoline #6 Ford Taurus."

http://www.internetmodeler.com/1999/november/rchta/accurate-miniatures.htm

Come on, Dave, we know you have pics of these test shots ^_^

"Also announced at the show will be a new line for A-M "Start-Finish Line 2000" ­ these will be 1/24 NASCAR racers. The first one out will evidently be the Valvoline #6 Ford Taurus."

http://www.internetmodeler.com/1999/november/rchta/accurate-miniatures.htm

Come on, Dave, we know you have pics of these test shots ^_^

I have dug out my box of AM Taurus test shots....I will REALLY try and get photos....I have been saying this for a year!!! I'd do it today but about to leave out of town...I need to do it....I want all to see what a great kit it was to be. Thx 

Then maybe Ill take photos of the stillborn rail kits by 1320.......:o

When did American Satco close??

I wanted their red-line, Blue Streak, Gold Line & White Stripe/Sidewall tires

I wanted the 66 Chevy Pick up Too!!!

And is the Monogram/Revell 65 what became of their announced kit??

Also Yes, The AMT 71 Petty Road Runner WAS the MPC kit!

Don't Forget at the same time they announced the Petty kit return.,

they announced the Original Annual 60 Ford Sunliner was to be re-issued

I know the tooling needed a Lot of work then, but do they still have it now???

Edited by Edsel-Dan

When did American Satco close??

I wanted their red-line, Blue Streak, Gold Line & White Stripe/Sidewall tires

I bought several sets of their redline tires, and even used some. I think I used them on my '68 Road Runner. As I recall, they were of a nice size and worked well. I think I'm still carefully hoarding a few set somewhere in the bowels of the Snakepit, but don't ask me where they are, much less if I want to part with any of them! :lol:

I'd love to see the test shots of the AM NASCAR kit. Curious question, if the test shots were made, how close was the real kit and where are the molds?

As for 1320 kits, they did a few, basically unassembled die-casts with a bit lower detail. I still look for 1320 die-casts for my collection. Hard to find but worth it.

Although I sifted through my Revell AG catalogs of the era to no avail, I clearly remember they announced a Bugatti EB112 alongside their EB110.
The real car remained a stillborn prototype, maybe that's the reason why the kit was never launched.

...As mentioned American SATCO was the U.S. Distributor for Aoshima at the time and they sold a few Aoshima kits in their own packaging and make resin lump "LHD Conversions" for several other Aoshima kits.

"Resin lump" is exactly right. I have a Toyota 4Runner and a Range Rover with American SATCO resin LHD dashboards. They're pretty awful.

But their tires were very good.  At the KCI swap meet in Buena Park CA a few years ago, one vendor had a bunch of different 1/25 aftermarket stuff they were dumping cheap.  Got a few sets of SATCO red-line/blue-line tires and several different sets of off-road tires.  Also a couple of Ross Gibson resin engines.  All for a lot less $$$ than the current arm-and-a-leg eBay prices.