Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 65 Lincoln

CrazyGirl

You get the tree build options on the box art. The "wagon" roof has a clear plastic sun roof as I recall. Remember this is a 60's - 70's kit with the screws holding the chassis and metal axles thru the engine and all. But it was a very good kit at the time and the body proportions are good as is the interior. You can build a very nice model out of it, but know what you are starting with.

You might have to look around in your leftover parts boxes. You can work with what's their depending on the level of detail your going for. If it's something you like I would get it. It's a good kit, just not of todays standards. I built a black sedan when this was new. Looked good.

Anne , I dunno why you dis like the chassis of that car, the real ones were the same as the model. That was pretty much the very last car ever built within it's size to use Unitized construction. You could I suppose go and open the trunk area as the top stowed under it . Seven relays , three miles of 12 ga wire operated the convertible top on those cars . The 430 E L engine was painted all Black as was the entire engine compartment . I was working in a Mercury dealer at the time . Oh let me tell ya , when the top DID malfunction , it was a really " bigg Exceterin " sized headache . As for the kit parts , they go together well and one shouldn't see any assembly problems .

Closest similar detailed chassis would be the AMT 62 Thunderbird. It would probably need to be stretched a bit. These cars were both unit bodies, developed together, using shared components. These days you would say they share the same "platform".

Edited by sfhess

I have both the '65 reissue, and an original '68 Continental (and a '61 and a '62, but who's counting).

I agree - the '65 is a fine kit when you consider the era it came from.

The '68 which I have also has the old style chassis. It has a funky option - can be built as a "Town Car", a *real* town car with the roof removed over the driver's area, as in the case of the classic town car limousines of the 30s.

Anne Im building a 65 at the moment so far its been problem free ! There are a few sink spots on the body there are two on the trunk and some around the hood and front fenders . If your trying to be more accurate then you will have to move the hood orniment to the hood and not on the body and the hood hinge is wrong to here is some pics

post-10436-0-22094600-1366457093_thumb.jpost-10436-0-15911600-1366457115_thumb.j

Edited by Doobie

Molded in chassis details can be painted to look nice. In fact, a simple build like that on occasion is a nice respit from the mega detailed stuff we usually do.

Chassis detail is rarely seen on a shelf or contest table - nobody picks up a model at a show, so unless you display it, the molded in detail doesn't matter so much. As stated above, some detail painting on the chassis and it will look good. Plus it's really easy to adjust ride height - just drill new holes.

I would concentrate more on a stellar paint job and clean construction than worrying about a detailed chassis for the Lincoln kit.

There was a WIP with the wagon conversion on the forum a while back...

I believe the '66 Ford was a full body on frame car, while the '65 Lincolns and T-Birds were unit construction. The floorpan out of the '62 T-Bird would be the better way to go as they did not change much from '61-'66. Of course you'd need to lengthen the floorpan as someone mentioned, but you'd have all the detail you'd want.

O.K. I check the two chassis and Bill and George are right the Thunderbird is a better choice. The 66 Ford Galaxy has a frame. I took a picture of the 65 Lincoln and the 62 Thunderbird and they are both unbodied not a full frame.

post-3862-0-59147000-1366489299_thumb.jp