Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 2012 Chevy Corvette Convertible 1/25

kira321

I have just started into the hobby this is my first model in Model Cars i have worked with Miniatures for mini war gaming My mom made me pick a new hobby because she doesn't like me playing airsoft not like she has a say but i have wanted a safer hobby anyway so we went to the nearest hobby store and picked up this Kit from AMT the 2012 Chevy Corvette Convertible. it looked really cool and seemed really easy to make so here is my attempt hopefully it doesn't look to bad when i am done. Tips and tricks would be appreciated and if you would be so kind is it better to do airbrushing compared to paintbrush? this one i am doing with a paintbrush.

post-11880-0-43802600-1366333469_thumb.j

post-11880-0-67016600-1366333477_thumb.j

post-11880-0-08218200-1366333488_thumb.j

yes it is much better to use an airbrush, or a rattle can, than it is to use a paint brush. on the body of the car it is pretty difficult to get a nice smooth finish with a brush. if you do not have an airbrush already get some spray paint to start and always use primer first. if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your paint brushing you can easily strip the paint with easy off oven cleaner and start over. i would suggest looking at Italianhorses.net and check out the tutorials section for painting. Just like everything else in life practice makes perfect and you will never be 100% satisfied with any finished product.

Thanks for the tips, took a look at that site and read there tutorials was a huge help. Sadly a airbrush kit is pretty expensive for me right now so it seems i am stuck using paintbrushes for now. though thankfully i found my old paintbrushes that i used for detailing miniatures so ill have a better paint job with those. (hopefully)

Thanks for the tips, took a look at that site and read there tutorials was a huge help. Sadly a airbrush kit is pretty expensive for me right now so it seems i am stuck using paintbrushes for now. though thankfully i found my old paintbrushes that i used for detailing miniatures so ill have a better paint job with those. (hopefully)

Your detailing brushes were made for just that - detailing. While it's possible to paint a model with paintbrushes, the few who can do it well use a much wider brush. (it also helps to have a lot of art-related training in using various brushes etc). If an airbrush setup is too expensive, take the advice offered above and get some hobby spray paint. There's an amazing range of colors, and they're fairly inexpensive.

I didn't see it mentioned but before you put ANY KIND of paint on the body, you must wash all your parts (excluding chrome) with warm dishwater, usually the palm olive brand works best, to remove any mold release that is invisible to the eye but is there none the less. This is a chemical that is on every new kit that comes out of the molds and it will wreck havoc on your paint job (fisheyes) if you don't wash the parts. Also, you would want to lightly scuff the plastic of the body parts with 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper (wet, dipped in a bowl of water from time to time) just so that you will get the "sheen" off of the plastic. This will promote better paint adhesion when you do this. And lastly, like everyone has said, if you can't afford an airbrush at this time, by all means get some spray paint. Testors has some really nice colors that are geared towards automotive subjects. Hope this helps.

Ep

I'll give you the same advice everyone else has... A/Brush or Spray-can. Painting bodies with a brush.... Just... No. Look's like you've already done that so I'll say right now... Strip it. Get down to your local auto supply store, they sell auto touch-up spray cans & are cheaper than hobby spray cans & in a lot of cases do a better job. Dry faster & are tougher. & like everyone else has also said... Practice makes... Perfect ;-)

Cheers

Nice to see new people in the hobby!

I would suggest using Spray Can paints too. The results will be smooth and shiny, most people don't get that nice finish with Paint Brushes. Spray Cans are cheaper than AirBrush, and they are easier to use also, because there is no need to make the paint thinner, or search for the correct mixture of air & paint etc. But with spray can paints, primer is Must Have.

Someone said about washing all parts before assembly... Well I think it matters what paint you are going to go with. For example, Revell or Humbroll Enamels and Tamiya Acrylic paints have never had any kind of problem. When I paint with those, I Never wash the parts. But when painting with spray cans, then yes, it is a good idea to wash the parts.

But the most important is to have fun, and that's all what matters. :D