Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Would you buy them if Round2 reissued them?

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm always browsing ebay looking for the old promos just to have something different to build. The ones I mostly seem to check out are the old AMT and MPC promos. There are tons of different subjects that we haven't seen for decades! Just today I came across several cool promos that would be so cool to have back. Cars like the '68 and '69 SS427 Impalas, a '66 Buick Skylark GS, '62 Galaxie (bought it) and a '64 Pontiac LeMans. I could make a bigger list easily. So, IF Round2 reissued some of their older promos from AMT and MPC, would you be willing to buy them if they were in the $18-$22 range? I would in a heartbeat!

Edited by plowboy

Posted · Report post

I dunno Roger . At 30.00 dollars a pop , plus taxes , I'm already really rethinking even buying ANY plastic kits .

Posted · Report post

Yes, yes, yes, more reissues please. Really though I think in the 18 to 22 dollar range would sell more. Can they do it? I remember when you could buy all the popular cars in AMT kits the year they were manufactured new and I'm sure a lot of you remember.

Posted · Report post

I have a bunch of 1980s X-EL models, Johan's re-issued promos, and would love to see Round2 do the same.

Posted · Report post

Not likely.

Posted · Report post

I doubt if the tooling of any of those promos still exist. But in an alternate reality where they do, yes, I'd buy curbside kits made from vintage promos.

Posted · Report post

Right Ron. Maybe I should have added in the price range. Like Ed, I won't give thirty dollars for any new kit. At least, right now I won't. But, if Round2 could or would offer the old promos for the eighteen to even the tenty-five range, I think a lot of people would be all over them!

Posted · Report post

I would buy the ones that interest me.

Posted · Report post

I'm with Ed, that 25 plus bucks for a kit is three days of gas for me.

Posted · Report post

I would buy the ones that interest me.

I second that.

Posted · Report post

If they would offer a '68 Coronet/Superbee I would have to buy a few, to build them for my dad and brother.

Also I wish they would reissue the Monogram 1st-generation RX7.

Posted · Report post

1968 Chevelle

1962 Galaxie with the flat back window

1971 Dodge Challenger

The following I have to think the tooling exists somewhere with somebody ,,,, because re-issues have not been gone that long in the grand scheme of things ;

1959 Johan Desoto

1968 Johan Chrysler 300 hardtop

1961 Johan Dodge pheonix

1972 MPC / AMT - GMC or Chevrolet pickup slyleside long bed

1969 Barracuda fastback

More

Polar Lights Charger / Barracuda funnycars

I'll add more as I think of them

Posted · Report post

I'd definitely buy curbsides from promo tooling in the $20 range. Seems like that should be possible if the tooling exists...no scaling, engineering, or development costs to have to amortize. Original box-art could be scanned and re-used. I've already bought a lot of styrene promos that have been reasonably priced, to use as bases for full-detail builds. I'd rather have styrene than resin repops.

Posted · Report post

Sorry, not interested in promos, even if they retail for $9.99. Solid metal axles, exhaust and front and rear suspension molded to a one-piece chassis, engine plate inserts, and uber-shallow interior tubs have no appeal to me.

Posted · Report post

If they would offer a '68 Coronet/Superbee I would have to buy a few, to build them for my dad and brother.

Also I wish they would reissue the Monogram 1st-generation RX7.

James, I just saw a '68 Coronet R/T kit last week at Model Empire and it's waiting for you.

Posted · Report post

Sorry, not interested in promos, even if they retail for $9.99. Solid metal axles, exhaust and front and rear suspension molded to a one-piece chassis, engine plate inserts, and uber-shallow interior tubs have no appeal to me.

true.. but it would be nice to get some of those bodies!

That's the thing. I like old Oldsmobiles, and I've found relatively cheap '56 and '58 promos. Easy enough to source GM chassis, Olds engines and gearboxes, interiors that can be modified...but to scratch a mid-50s body is a BUNCH of work.

Posted · Report post

James, I just saw a '68 Coronet R/T kit last week at Model Empire and it's waiting for you.

Will he need to bring along Benjamin, his twin brother Ben, and their friend Ulysses?

Posted · Report post

Probably not. I will fork over hard earned cash only for full detail kits.

Posted · Report post

Will he need to bring along Benjamin, his twin brother Ben, and their friend Ulysses?

That's what I'm wondering. Are you sure it wasn't the '69?

A '68 would make an awesome gift for my brother, and if I could get two, I could build one for my dad also. Hell if I could get a 3rd I wouldn't mind having one for myself, I grew up around that car. It's been in the family since before I was born.

Posted · Report post

That's what I'm wondering. Are you sure it wasn't the '69?

A '68 would make an awesome gift for my brother, and if I could get two, I could build one for my dad also. Hell if I could get a 3rd I wouldn't mind having one for myself, I grew up around that car. It's been in the family since before I was born.

It was the '68 Coronet R/T as I almost bought a 1:1 Coronet several years ago and last fall I bought the Modelhause '68 kit. I also had a '69 Super Bee back-in-the-day.

Posted · Report post

Lots of these can't be repopped. Lots of times they were turned into the next year model if there weren't big changes on the 1:1, and a lot of them would up victims to the AMT stock cars and modifieds and A/FX craze, they were buggered up to make those. Who thought in 1965 that anybody would ever want these things again?

There are a few big Fords I'd like to see come back, the 59 and 62 Ford Galaxie H/T and 62 and 65 T-Bird H/Ts would be ones I'd like to see, I could build and customize those suckers all day long... It's be nice to only pay $15 or so for one to play around with, instead of 40-50 for a builtup that needs stripping, replating, and some Modelhaus love or $100 for a mint kit.

Posted · Report post

It was the '68 Coronet R/T as I almost bought a 1:1 Coronet several years ago and last fall I bought the Modelhause '68 kit. I also had a '69 Super Bee back-in-the-day.

There has been a few sell recently . I would love to have a builder, but I am not paying anywhere near this kind of money

scroll down this list , be sitting down when you do.

http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=mpc+1968+coronet&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MPC-1968-Coronet-Dodge-Scat-Pack-R-T-3in1-1768-200-Factory-Sealed-MIB-/300880710901?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item460de34cf5&nma=true&si=3JEfmZVIeVGR9kwoA8XH7BBBLeQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

nother one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-year-old-original-and-only-issue-MPC-1968-Dodge-Coronet-R-T-3in1-kit-/200908937231?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item2ec71b180f&nma=true&si=3JEfmZVIeVGR9kwoA8XH7BBBLeQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Convertible

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MPC-1968-CORONET-R-T-SUPER-BEE-CONVERTIBLE-Model-Car-Mountain-kit-1-25-FS-ANNUAL-/140940114754?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item20d0af7b42&nma=true&si=3JEfmZVIeVGR9kwoA8XH7BBBLeQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

just for giggles , how about empty boxes for a 1968 Coronet promo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Dodge-Coronet-promo-box-for-red-car-nice-shape-/140943903607?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item20d0e94b77&nma=true&si=3JEfmZVIeVGR9kwoA8XH7BBBLeQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Dodge-Coronet-Hardtop-White-Dealer-Promo-Car-Original-Box-Only-/140946121034?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item20d10b214a&nma=true&si=3JEfmZVIeVGR9kwoA8XH7BBBLeQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Posted · Report post

I would buy the ones that l like. l would love to see some promos repoped..

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nope, would not, but what I would or would not buy does not matter :lol:

Edited by martinfan5

Posted · Report post

Id love to see the old 60s promos re-issued would I buy them....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!