Model Cars Magazine Forum

`62 Dodge Lancer

FASTBACK340

You would do this one, John. I have a couple of Valiants in the stash, which are to built as Replica Stock projects, but your build are making me rethink the project.

079.jpg

This '61 Hardtop has been restored and enhanced(mould lines removed and body separation lines added), and is ready for paint.

Out of the choices given, wheels # 1 and I agree a lighter color would make it pop.The Pearl white mentioned would be cool, or maybe a light gold..

But to be honest none of them really do it for me, then again the model isn't for me.

Myself I've never be a big fan of the big wheels short sidewall tire movement.

BUT, a few years back there was an early 64 or maybe 65 Valiant 2 door hardtop running around the Mopar Nats that just knocked my socks off.

But it was more of a pro touring style. Nice wheels and tires that had some sidewall . But lowered just about perfect.

That car was REEEEEEALY nice and I would gladly have parked it in my garage.

You would do this one, John. I have a couple of Valiants in the stash, which are to built as Replica Stock projects, but your build are making me rethink the project.

079.jpg

This '61 Hardtop has been restored and enhanced(mould lines removed and body separation lines added), and is ready for paint.

Yes I would do it.... ;)

Sorry, but odd things talk to me. I could never build a mainstream or a box stock kit. Not knocking it, but I like living vicariously through models. Almost as much fun, and a whole lot cheaper, than putting another one in the garage!

BTW:I'm a fan of your work Ron. I'm sure you'll make those hideous little Valiants into works of art. B)

OK, now that we're having an ugly-Mopar hate fest it's time to get serious. I lucked out and copped a nice tip from a customer to make it worth my while to stop at the local Micheals at lunch. I was hoping to find something.... LancerMockUp2001-vi.jpg Found a 2009 Challenger that's going to be nothing more than an organ donor for the Lancer. The water pistol is for my un-ruley at times hound. LancerMockUp2003-vi.jpgLancerMockUp2004-vi.jpg From the looks of things, we might be scratching a frame from brass or plastic. No way the stock Challenger frame & suspension can be trimmed down enough. Might be easier to just use the suspension on a custom frame adjusted for track & wheelbase. This is all just table-top futzing around. I'm off Thursday so tomorrow night we can stay up late. Tonight I'm busy. But let me tell you, it's been a l-o-n-g time since I'll randomly think of a model I'm building during the day at work. :)

Out of the choices given, wheels # 1 and I agree a lighter color would make it pop.The Pearl white mentioned would be cool, or maybe a light gold..

But to be honest none of them really do it for me, then again the model isn't for me.

Myself I've never be a big fan of the big wheels short sidewall tire movement.

BUT, a few years back there was an early 64 or maybe 65 Valiant 2 door hardtop running around the Mopar Nats that just knocked my socks off.

But it was more of a pro touring style. Nice wheels and tires that had some sidewall . But lowered just about perfect.

That car was REEEEEEALY nice and I would gladly have parked it in my garage.

There was a guy at Carlisle a few ago with a light Gold 64 Valiant with a turbo /6-4spd combo. Sweet doesn't begin to describe it....

I think I'm shopping for a nice sand/beige/tan/ecru shade of metallic/pearl/candy something for color with wheels #1.

More to follow....

OK.... I'm finding out no-way will any of the stock 2nd. Gen Challenger frame, suspension, or interior will fit. No surprise here. Now I'm stuck in the dilemma of hacking down kit parts or make my own.

The Revell Challenger suspension is very disappointing. I might be better off making my own chassis & interior, which brings me to this: Does Ross Gibson do the 3rd Gen Hemi? I have a $25 Challenger kit about to give up just its engine and not much else.

I'm off today so I guess I should get some plastic and start building the frame.

I was able to make the Revell Challenger work under the Moebius C300 kit by modifying the C300 framerails.

And I must say, it looks COOL!

However you do the modifying on this ol' girl you've got your work cut out for you. Keep after it. We're all watching.

Later-

Thanks for the 'like' on the C300/Challenger fit, Tom. I mentioned it as a possible for his build. Going back and measuring out my 61 Valiant kit, it is about .5" narrower than the C300. The Challenger front very well may not work for this application, unless there is a way to re-engineer the A-arms to shorten them up, plus take a hair out of the 'K' width. It could be done, but I would sooner take a later AMT B-body chassis an mod it to fit the new Hemi than the 2009 Challenger unit.

And to add/answer Johns question; I have not seen anything from Ross Gibson on a New-Gen Hemi. I am quite sure they have not been released in resin as of yet (for Johns sake, I hope I am incorrect).

Just an update:

Been busy with side-work. Helping a friend get his car ready for the cruise/show season. And the Barracuda committed suicide Saturday when a corner of the dash frame gouged my ignition switch harness leaving me testing my patch-it-up and get-it-home skills.

The models are much easier.....

OK, now that we're having an ugly-Mopar hate fest it's time to get serious. I lucked out and copped a nice tip from a customer to make it worth my while to stop at the local Micheals at lunch. I was hoping to find something.... LancerMockUp2001-vi.jpg Found a 2009 Challenger that's going to be nothing more than an organ donor for the Lancer. The water pistol is for my un-ruley at times hound. LancerMockUp2003-vi.jpgLancerMockUp2004-vi.jpg From the looks of things, we might be scratching a frame from brass or plastic. No way the stock Challenger frame & suspension can be trimmed down enough. Might be easier to just use the suspension on a custom frame adjusted for track & wheelbase. This is all just table-top futzing around. I'm off Thursday so tomorrow night we can stay up late. Tonight I'm busy. But let me tell you, it's been a l-o-n-g time since I'll randomly think of a model I'm building during the day at work. :)

If the challenger is just going to be a donor...... any interest in trading the body/hood? I really only need the hood for my 1:1 magnum replica.

project is looking great btw!

• 2 weeks later...