Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 Chevrolet Caprice

LongRoofNut

About 10 years ago ( I think ) when the reissue came out, I picked up a few. I built one right away in cream and tan. I liked the color combo but was never happy with my paint work. So it sat 99% finished for almost, well 10 years. Got tired of looking at it and was gona just do a repaint..............needless to say it became a full resto.

I went with the three part Testors lacquer system, wet sanded it and hand buffed with automotive buffing compunds and waxes. The interior was done using automotive dye, flocked, added floor mats, and a turn signal stalk/gear lever. White wall tires came from American Satco (last ones I had left). The half top and side trim was done also using the same automotive dye for the inside. Other than trying to find the right style outside rear view chrome mirrors, photo etch scripts and a set of plates, shes pretty much done.

510_zps79538287.jpg

718_zpsc429be09.jpg

728_zps9d449e51.jpg

941_zps70e9060a.jpg

950_zps3bb6579d.jpg

951_zps873547e0.jpg

942_zps5dda40d0.jpg

Very Nice build!!!!! Can I make one suggestion? Foil the "A" pillars. They were stainless steel on the '71-'76 GM full sized cars. MPC missed that detail, and made the pillars look like they should be body color, as that area should have been raised instead of depressed.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I have always liked the '71 to '76 "big" Caprice/Impala line up. Sure were commanding cars on the road. I have the Modelhaus '73 Kingswood that I have had for a few years but still have not built that one and a '73 promo that needs a nice resto. I have another '73 Kingswood on order to do a '74 front clip conversion.

Helix: Yes that is a London Taxi. I built it when I was 13-14 years old. One of very few I have left from when I was a kid. Somehow by what grace, the black came out darn near perfect. So this time around I just did a gentle clean up and adjusted a few things.

CrazyGirl: The interiour dye is by Dupli Color for 1:1 cars. It is ment for vinyl and fabric. However I used the black dye on my real '76 Monte Carlo, it makes the carpet stiff but works great on the models. You can find this stuff at Advance, Auto Zone, Pep Boys or just about any well stocked auto parts store. Just mist on a few light coats.

Ron: I looked at some of my materal I had collected and saw some pictures with and without the trim. I don't know if it was bad editing, a model change or what. I see the '73 promo has the raised area for the stainless steel trim but '74, '75 and the '76 did not. By the way Ron, your work is inspiring.

Charlie: Yes I am back! It has been a long time! My computer took a poop, lost everything and I figured in time I would get around to coming back. Once you get into this hobby, it will always follow you and bring you right back in.