Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW! Modelhaus 57 Dodge D-501 sedan

I was lucky enough to be able to snag one of The Modelhaus' new 1957 Dodge Coronet D-501 2 door sedan kits at NNL East. In a word, this kit is fantastic. Don & Carol have outdone themselves with this one.

The body is superb. It is made as a curbside, with the hood molded in, but it has great detail, moldings and emblems that are clearly visible. The interior is a platform, with separate side panels. Its based off the 57 Chrysler 300 with new side panel detail and correct bench seats. The chassis is a one piece, but will do the trick for a curbside. Chrome is excellent, vacuum formed f&r glass is super clear, and lots of small detail parts are in there, too. Tires are wide whites with dog dish caps.

It is possible to do some surgery and combine this one with the chassis from the 57 Chrysler, but its not a drop in. The Chrysler chassis needs to be shortened a scale 4". The engine should be good as-is, as the blocks were the same, but the air cleaners were a bit different on the D-501s.

This will make a real nice replica of a car never before kitted. Of course, those who know me know it'll be a replica vintage police car when I'm done. My research so far show that this car was used by the Ohio Turnpike Patrol, Missouri State Highway Patrol, Nebraska State Patrol and of course, the CHP.

Its priced at $95, but well worth it.

P4224741-vi.jpg

P4224742-vi.jpg

P4224743-vi.jpg

P4224744-vi.jpg

OHoshpturnpike57dodge-vi.jpg

Edited by tomsheehy

I've ne'er heard of a "501" Dodge . "500" model , yes ; but not with a "1" suffix .

That's of little consequence here anyhow :) .

I'll have to check into 1957 Dodge models now , as you've piqued my interest in this subject :D

The D501 used left-over 354 Chrysler Hemi engines from 1956.

Art

Wouldn't the '58 Plymouth be an easier donor than the Chrysler? IIRC, the Dodges and Plymouths shared similar wheelbases back then, and the kit chassis should fit without a lot of surgery. Engines are another story as they were different in those years.

That police car looks to be an early '57 run..............it's missing its lower "teeth". :D

Bill, the "lower teeth" were on the Custom Royal, I believe. This car is based on the Coronet, and didn't have the "teeth".

And....

I just checked the 58 Plymouth...its very close and may not need any major surgery. Thanks for the suggestion.

Strange, because the real cars' wheelbases are 118" for the Plymouth and 122" for the Dodge. For reference the Chrysler 300C is 126".

Edited by tomsheehy

That is one of the good points in subscribing to forums. I have never found such a 501 in old brochures like this one for example:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Dodge/1957_Dodge/1957_Dodge_Brochure/dirindex.html

Did it share the HT roof? I mean could it be converted to Royal lancer by removing the pillars.

Not 100% sure but I think the rear half of the roof line and back glass are different between 2 door hardtop versus the 2 door sedan

Not 100% sure but I think the rear half of the roof line and back glass are different between 2 door hardtop versus the 2 door sedan

Yes , these roofs were different . In the day I saw these bodies parked next to each other as I drooled over them . The HT was lower and IIRC , a tad longer , Thanx ..