Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back to the Hobby after 15 years - 41' Willy's Gasser

Chickenfoot

I was at Hobby Lobby a week ago and found this Revell 41' Willy's Gasser. After doing a little research I found this awsome site. I've spent about 3 days looking around and figured the only way I was going to complete my first kit was to start a build thread cuz I'm going to need alot of help... I have already ordered a pre wired distributor and a couple other items. I've never built anything other then box stock so this is going to be a trial and error build. Below is the kit and I'll try to keep this updated as I build.

post-11895-0-27390600-1366678914_thumb.j

post-11895-0-66489700-1366678933_thumb.j

First things first. Welcome to the site. You can find A LOT of people of who are willing to help you a long the way and answer any questions you have.

Second... I'm looking forward to this build as I've been thinking of building one myself. I too, have never done a wired motor although I want too really bad.

I use EasyOff oven cleaner and it works great. Just be sure to use some rubber gloves when you handle them after spraying. You'll want to rinse them thoroughly after the cleaner's done it's job. Real corrosive stuff, but it won't affect the plastic.

Welcome, Mark! I've tried a few things, including oven cleaner to remove chrome, but my preference if Super Clean. it's the purple cleaner you can get at auto parts stores. It strips enamel paints really well also.

I've got a Willys WIP going too that I'm going to pick back up again soon, I had to put it on ice to get another project done, but I'm eager to get back to it. Here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63751&hl=%2Bwillys+%2Bhalibrand

Also, you might want to consider checking out some shows and seeing some builds in person. You can really learn a lot from meeting other builders in person and seeing their work firsthand.

Best of luck on this, Can't wait to see you get rolling!

-Art

Welcome back to the world of plastics and to this site. There is a lot of cool stuff going on here.

Chrome? A lot of people use "Easy Off" I've heard it might warp the plastic after a while. The "Castrol Super Clean" has some good reviews. I couldn't find it where I live so I ended up buying "Industrial Purple Concentrate" (used full strength) at "Home Depot" It does the job in under 2 minutes and won't warp plastic even after soaking for 72 hours.

P1050627_zpsc23625a6.jpg

That Alclad paint process is awesome. You need an airbrush to apply it though. I plan on getting a supply of it soon. http://alclad2.com/

Here's a couple links to some great builders and some of their Alclad use. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72751 http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42096

Can't wait to see some progress photos on that Willy's

Thanks for all the info and links. I'll have to get some of that purple stuff becasue I didnt really like the ez-off method. Here's an update and I have a couple questions. I've done some work on the frame and engine. I've also primed the body for paint, Still need to get the proper sanding paper or pads to properly prep the paint before I contiune. My first question: Does the wiring on the engine look OK? i've never done it before and before I glue anything in place I would like to get your guys oppinion. Also, I'm thinking of going with Model Master Go Mango for the paint with a beige or light brown interior. What do you think? Thanks again for all the support, this site is awsome...

Mark

post-11895-0-10632900-1367029087_thumb.j

post-11895-0-19458700-1367029094_thumb.j

post-11895-0-72829000-1367029112_thumb.j

Great starting point! If all you do is put some plug wires on, then so be it! They look awesome!

You have to find satisfaction in the build you are working on. You aren't the perfect builder and neither am I. The truth is that non of us are. these aren't 1:1 cars, they don't do a quarter mile in 10 sec. They are our dream creations and we are fine with that. Every build we create is a combination of what we have seen and what we can re-create at our skill level.

You are doing an incredible job just by getting back into the hobby. Enjoy the journey....

BTW I would go with Teal blue and some white highlights....LOL

The wiring looks very good to me also. And overall the engine looks fantastic as it is right now. I think the Go Mango paint will look excellent on the Willys. We've seen too much of these in Blue (I painted mine blue too, but nowadays I would have chosen another color). You are doing great job returning back to hobby.

The sanest way I've found to strip chrome is with a cleaner and degreaser called Purple Power that can be found for cheap from big auto supply stores like Auto Zone. It takes a day or two of soaking, but it's not toxic and won't eat skin like the other solutions. It will take off bad paint jobs too but won't harm the plastic.

I built that kit and had a lot of fun with it. I keep it on my bench as a reference for the build I'm working on now.

Dale

I have used the Rubbermaid brand of purple power for chrome. I was told that it is the same stuff that Zep makes . It is fast and does a good job. Just remember that it is a concentrated cleaner. WEAR GLOVES it will dry out your hands faster than you think. This will take off most paints also.

Welcome back to the hobby and welcome to the forum, Mark. I use Wesley's Tire Bleach to remove chrome, but it doesn't take off the layer of whatever it is under the chrome. I believe the oven cleaner takes that second layer off.

You made an excellent choice for a "coming back" kit. That Willys is wonderful. Wiring looks real good and the colors you mentioned sound great.

Just a quick update. I layed down the color on the body, decided to go with a black interior and did a little work on the suspension, Don't really like the suspension all silver so I'm going to try to high light some of the areas a little more. Should be able to add the decals, Foil and clear this weekend. I'm really having a blast building this along with all the wealth of info on this site... Thanks again for watching, Mark

post-11895-0-88891900-1367280943_thumb.j

post-11895-0-00607600-1367280949_thumb.j