Model Cars Magazine Forum

NOW THIS IS A COOL IDEA !

I made a device (I dubbed it the "Stir-O-Lizer") using a rotisserie from a barbecue grill and PVC pipe that will hold up to 12 small bottles of paint at a time. It gently spins the bottles, thoroughly mixing the paint, and I can leave it unattended whilst I prepare things for the soon-to-be-airbrushed paint.

I use a device I like to call my hand...

Seriously though, my first thought looking at that was that it is fraught with danger.

There has to be a way to do similar using a palm sander. Mine has the paper attached with velcro so maybe I can make up a pouch with velcro on to hold the paint to the sander?

Wow Derick I am amazed you still breath air !!!! but I am gonna do it , i'll get a vari speed and an Irwin clamp and mount it under the bench

BB's and that idea is Not a good combo at all !!

I've got BB's in every jar/bottle of paint that I have. You could use those soft pellets that they have too. That would probably be better for something that whips it that fast. ;)

That reciprocating saw idea does look fraught with danger, so for anyone who wants to build a Stir-O-Lizer, I took a photograph of the one I built. The picture will pretty much tell you how it went together. You'll need a rotisserie from a barbecue grill, six PVC end joints roughly the size of the bottles you'll be using, a piece of wood or Trex as a base, two hose clamps, and some wood screws to hold the rotisserie to the wood. The device spins at 2 rpm, so put your bottles in it about an hour before you are ready to paint, or you can leave them in all day if you want. It requires no attention once set in motion.

post-928-0-42655000-1366812057_thumb.jpg

That looks like a disaster waiting to happen! I always stir my bottle paint. It's virtually impossible to keep paint from seeping between the threads and the cap when you shake them.

That looks like a disaster waiting to happen! I always stir my bottle paint. It's virtually impossible to keep paint from seeping between the threads and the cap when you shake them.

I agree about the disaster part, but I've never-never had paint seepage from shaking in 30+ years of building....unless you count that time I didn't have a cap on all the way :huh:

That reciprocating saw idea does look fraught with danger, so for anyone who wants to build a Stir-O-Lizer, I took a photograph of the one I built. The picture will pretty much tell you how it went together. You'll need a rotisserie from a barbecue grill, six PVC end joints roughly the size of the bottles you'll be using, a piece of wood or Trex as a base, two hose clamps, and some wood screws to hold the rotisserie to the wood. The device spins at 2 rpm, so put your bottles in it about an hour before you are ready to paint, or you can leave them in all day if you want. It requires no attention once set in motion.

attachicon.gifStir-O-Lizer 002.jpg

Now that the ticket right there, thanx for this tip,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
On 4/24/2013 at 9:09 AM, W-Machine said:

post-928-0-42655000-1366812057_thumb.jpg

What is the apparatus that you use to shake the paint with? I can't tell from the picture. Thanks.