Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big Red 1/16 Kenworth

Oh, yeah....I remember seeing this one in a magazine that may be familiar to some of us, years ago....I was totally amazed, then, and I am, now, as well.....Excellent build....Only one problem, I see....I think you need to post a few more pics of this beauty for us.... :D

Edited by kilrathy10

Oh, yeah....I remember seeing this one in a magazine that may be familiar to some of us, years ago....I was totally amazed, then, and I am, now, as well.....Excellent build....Only one problem, I see....I think you need to post a few more pics of this beauty for us.... :D

Thanks! The only other pics I have of it are one alongside another big KW, and then after I "took it down a notch" and replaced the big sleeper with a regular one...

post-11866-0-71739800-1366995579_thumb.j

post-11866-0-72920700-1366995609_thumb.j

post-11866-0-31202800-1366995629_thumb.j

Thanks! The only other pics I have of it are one alongside another big KW, and then after I "took it down a notch" and replaced the big sleeper with a regular one...

That's the right look for it! And that dark burgundy one... That's classy!

Edited by BigBad

I see....That looks pretty good, too....(Refering to the regular sleeper).....Not sure which version I like the most....Very nice work....Now that other KW looks pretty awesome, too....I like that one, too....

Who did you have doing your chrome parts back then, Mike? I sent several racks to The Little Motor Kar Co. but only about 1/3 of the parts came back in decent shape.

I've used Chrome Tech USA for about 15 years now, still do. I've never had a problem with them. In addition to plastic model parts I've had diecast car wheels chromed there...

post-11866-0-43153800-1367277737_thumb.j

post-11866-0-07553300-1367277767_thumb.j

I've used Chrome Tech USA for about 15 years now, still do. I've never had a problem with them. In addition to plastic model parts I've had diecast car wheels chromed there...

That is a SWEEET GTO!!!!!!!!! What about resin parts? Ever hand any of those plated? I heard he doesn't like to do resin parts.

That is a SWEEET GTO!!!!!!!!! What about resin parts? Ever hand any of those plated? I heard he doesn't like to do resin parts.

I had a few resin 1/18 blower bodies chromed there and they came out fine. I think the main problem with resin parts is that different people use different types of resin, so there's often no way to tell how well the plating will work with a certain resin. Too many people think there's only one type of resin and if the parts don't come back perfect they blame it on the plater and not the resin. I try to avoid resin if I know I'm going to need a part chromed, but often there's no way around it. In a case like that I know it's a gamble and I certainly wouldn't blame Chrome Tech or and plater if there's a problem. If Bob doesn't like to plate resin parts I can certainly understand why.

Yeah, I started casting back in 94 so I'm aware of the many different types of resin and how some can even "bleed" long after the part has cured. The parts I had done were resin, all from the same batch. The reason they didn't turn out well is they were not sprayed properly. It looks like they were rushed. Lots of areas with no plating and rough surface like the basecoat dried as it was being applied. The parts were glass smooth when I sent them. I would think the material the part is made of wouldn't matter as long as there's not a chemical reaction as a basecoat is applied to the part before they are plated. I would think this would seal the part and what you would be actually plating, is the base coat paint itself.

I always assumed the parts were dipped like a metal chroming process, I didn't know they're sprayed. Either way I think it's just a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH shoot with resin.

As for my avatar pic, I'll never tell! :D (And no, it's not Phoebe Cates! B) )

I'm just glad you found those pics.....Awesome work, Man....Awesome work....Thank you...Can't wait till they re-release that KW....I'll be following suit....

Thanks! I wish all those chrome goodies were available on the aftermarket back then. Most of it wasn't that difficult to make, but the full rear fenders were a bit of a chore to make out of styrene.

I would love to know how a double blown GTO goes, reckon it would go real hard

Love both your trucks, they are sweet, bring on the 1/16th KW's

and Phoebe Cates wow that is going back a few years, even I had a crush on her....... I think I still do...

I would love to know how a double blown GTO goes, reckon it would go real hard

I don't want to deviate too far from trucks here, but that GTO was loosely based on Bill Bolin's double-blown '70 GTO. Everyone, even the blower companies, said it couldn't be done, but he proved them wrong. Obviously it was more for show than go, but it worked. He eventually dropped it back to one blower and sold the car. Google "Bolin GTO" and check it out, there are even videos.

l.jpg