Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking at other forums makes me wonder, what other hobbies do you have?

DrKerry

I build and fly R/C planes, mostly of my own design. Been doing it for 40 years. I play trumpet in a community band. I was in the Penn State Blue Band in my college years (1967-1970). I ride motorcycles, got a Ninja 250 and a 1962 vintage Honda 50, and I ride bicycles, just ordered a recumbent trike. Lots of things to take my time and money!

Sam

I've been collecting matchbooks and matchbook covers for a few years. I have them from anything you can think of: soda, dog food, nightclubs, movies, movie theatres, world war II era patriotics and of course, even old hobby shops. You guys might dig this category I have a lot of; cars (I even have an old Hupmobile one):

post-11636-0-93865600-1367007792_thumb.j

Car dealerships:

post-11636-0-46257700-1367007863_thumb.j

Check out our matchbook club blog here: http://www.marvaclub.blogspot.com/

I'm always on the lookout for them :)

Interesting group we are indeed! I'm fortunate to be able to enjoy a few hobbies as my wife not only encourages it, but she has a few of her own. This in turn has given me the opportunity to experience new things. Besides model building & collecting, I also collect anything second generation Plymouth Barracuda related, specificly 1968. I also restored & enjoy my '68 Fastback 340-S Barracuda. I also play Bass in a rock band ( Sinclairs in East Babylon Sat night 11:00pm....) have a modest collection of Basses too. My Wife has made me a NY Mets fan as she's a huge fan of Baseball. Went to opening day and froze....

We also enjoy going to concerts. We're good for 8-10 shows a year (saw In This Moment & Stone Sour 2 weeks ago) We also enjoy the occasional Broadway show. We have family from coast to coast so at least once a year we're flying somewhere. My Wife is an avid Skiier and usually goes to Utah every other year to ski with her Dad who taught her when she was 4! He's getting on in years and still skis a bit. My Wife also enjoys Dog Shows & Agility Trials. We did agility with our last girl, but now just spectate. Our boy is a bit of a huge hound. Not agile at all ....

Plus we enjoy doing our own household renovations, I enjoy working with wood & building stuff, etc. We definitely keep busy.

I mainly ride dirtbikes and BMX as my other hobbies. I race pro hillclimbs (the ones with extended swingarms), which you can probably tell by my signature. I guess you can say that building models is my "safe, relaxing" hobby. :D

I build model cars, you know model kits about yeah long..... Oh wait, that's what I'm normally telling other people about my hobbies. Well, besides reading and surfing the net I mess around with a 1:1 Model A. My wife has a collection of working spinning wheels and regualry can be found sitting in the sunroom making yarn. She has also done some great rug hooking including one of our Model A

.IMG_4514-vi.jpg

That is the fun part. People who have hobbies are smart, creative and interesting folks. They have to understand things around them, and dig into learning deep into subjects just out of their natural curiosity. They spend time studying, learning and creating things. That's why we stand apart from the herd that is satisfied with a life of watching TV.

Right on Tom!!!! Agree totally!!!

My other hobbies include my 71el camino which I'm trying to get back on the road, reading (Dean Koontz, Stephen King, and World War 2), Arizona Diamondbacks, NASCAR, and NHRA. But my favorite hobby is my three year old granddaughter!!

In no specific order:

Motorsports

Driving our hot rod and '47 Mercury to car shows and rod runs

Model Railroading

Slot cars

Collecting antique cameras

Collecting automotive books and magazines

Road trips

Race photography (although that's not really a hobby anymore since I get paid to do it. :lol: )

working on anything with 4 wheels and a gas engine .

building pulling tractors

playing video games (not so much anymore)

learning home improvement

building and customizing computers and operating systems

restoring older stereo receivers (just finished a pioneer sx1250)

thrift shopping(found a full denon home theater setup for $11.00)

learning to weld better

Wow, what other hobbies? I spend way to much money on-

Collecting and building movie related sci-fi props

Gas powered RC Monster trucks

Model building of course

My '86 Fiero GT (to get back on the road)

Here are a few pics of some current projects

My highly customized Pulse Rifle

th_100_6192_zps91a91330.jpg

Full custom electronics. Hero PR sounds including firing, mag loading, grenade launcher racking and firing sound effects. LEDs in the barrel flash with the sounds.

th_100_6290_zps5c8db881.jpg

Still plugging away on my Blade Runner Spinner.

th_100_6231_zps2fc75ad4.jpg

th_100_6235_zpsd0cc468d.jpg

Need to finish my Freddy Krueger glove.

th_Dec30125.jpg

Oh, and here is my '86 Fiero GT that still needs a new engine!

th_612.jpg

Custom built lightsaber.

th_Igniter.jpg

Oh, and I collect rocks too. It's free! I have rocks from all over the world right now. Anytime someone in the office travels to a different country I always have them pick me up a rock. Nothing store bought, just off the beach, road, ground, street, etc. I have rocks from Japan, China, Germany, Australia, many places in the UK, etc.

th_April15th2012054.jpg

Oh, and here is my '86 Fiero GT that still needs a new engine!

th_612.jpg

Custom built lightsaber.

th_Igniter.jpg

Oh, and I collect rocks too. It's free! I have rocks from all over the world right now. Anytime someone in the office travels to a different country I always have them pick me up a rock. Nothing store bought, just off the beach, road, ground, street, etc. I have rocks from Japan, China, Germany, Australia, many places in the UK, etc.

th_April15th2012054.jpg

woohoo...another "rock hound*" :D *50 bonus points for the movie character reference

Thanks knarf. I see your in Michigan. I grew up in the Pontiac/Waterford area before moving to KY 7 years ago.

You have me at a loss though. What movie character reference?

This local creek is nothing but shell fossils. Look down and the ground your on is one giant slab of fossilized shells. My dog Scotch enjoying a day in the water.

th_April15th2012050.jpg

Another fossil from the same creek. Lots of small bones that had collected in one spot.

th_April15th2012057.jpg

Edited by robiwon

I hear ya Helix, my little 6 year old girl is the center of my life. People ask me from time to time who my hero is, I simply say "My daughter". HAving had 10 surgeries and about one more to go for now she is the most independant, caring, beautiful, fun, polite and down to earth girl I know. And she's only 6!!!!!!

God bless our children!!!!!!

Absolutely Doc! hope she is doing well despite all the surgeries mate B);)

Pinstriping, sign work & vehicle graphics for fun and profit

Classic Mini, (wrenching and driving)

Autocrossing Above on occasion

Slot Cars

Watercolor Painting & Drawing

Gardening - Tomatoes & Peppers (= Salsa!), Big Pumpkins

Chilihead

BBQ

I also build 1:1 drag cars and race them, build 1:1 showcars, build and operate extremely high horsepower (475+ hp)turbocharged custom mountain snowmobiles, build and shoot guns including 1000 yard competitions, reload ammunition, and collect Snap-On and other high quality tools. This hobby is the least expensive of the bunch and I still end up spending WAY too much on it.

Thanks knarf. I see your in Michigan. I grew up in the Pontiac/Waterford area before moving to KY 7 years ago.

You have me at a loss though. What movie character reference?

This local creek is nothing but shell fossils. Look down and the ground your on is one giant slab of fossilized shells. My dog Scotch enjoying a day in the water.

th_April15th2012050.jpg

Another fossil from the same creek. Lots of small bones that had collected in one spot.

th_April15th2012057.jpg

Andy Dufrain(sp) played by Tim Robbins in "The Shawshank Redemption"

Absolutely Doc! hope she is doing well despite all the surgeries mate B);)

Thanks Ray, she is. She has what is called "Kabuki Syndrome" and in Australia there is a big network of Kabuki families and one organization that we're a part of. Unfortunately Kabuki Syndrome has a lot of stuff that goes with it.

She's a trooper though, not much keeps her down!!!!!

Have a great day!!!