Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Buick Invicta Overhaulin Updated 11/30/13

HNTR

I have been looking for this kit for some time now. Finally a member on this site made a trade with me. I was told that the gentleman actually received this same kit from another trade he made. After getting this kit I took some pics and immediately took it apart. I put the body in the purple pond and it seemed that due to the age of the kit the paint was falling right off. While the paint was being stripped I did some research on this kit. While I thought it was just an old kit something did not seem right when I took it apart. The rear axle had grooves in it like it used to hold something. After researching more I came to the conclusion that this kit is actually a "friction promo". If I am wrong or if someone has more info for me, please do tell.

Here are some pics of what is going on with the kit so far. The first 2 pics are of the color scheme I am contemplating.

8283280872_1a1da7bff5_b_zps85f02e44.jpg

8283274154_225d6b5ed8_b_zps6da59c54.jpg

Edited by HNTR

This is how I received the model. The paint seemed to be brushed on and some of the details were either wore down or sanded off. There was also alot of glue used. Overall this kit was complete and in good shape, not to mention what I have been looking for. Here are some pics.

DSCN1744_zpsccf9ee82.jpg

DSCN1749_zps04d5fe78.jpg

DSCN1747_zpsfa7d737d.jpg

DSCN1748_zps6380f78f.jpg

DSCN1750_zps26626f38.jpg

DSCN1746_zps3f599787.jpg

DSCN1745_zpsefc464a1.jpg

DSCN1751_zps5ee8eb2a.jpg

DSCN1753_zps0ce641f8.jpg

Really good to see restos of these oldies. It rather looks like a generic or even a Ford chassis plate has had the holes hogged out to fit the Buick screw bosses (the '59 Buick had straight side frame rails...those pictured are curved and look like the Ford shape). It also seems to have just a little curl-up of the front end, which MAY make it a kit. I'd think an acetate promo would have far more warpage by now.

Which brings up the obvious question someone here surely knows the answer to...were the '59 promos still acetate, or had they gone to Cycolac / ABS?

what is the writing on the frame rail,,,,,,,i cant make it out.......................

There is the answer. It says "Copyright By A.M.T. Birmingham Mich".

In any case it will be getting a new frame

interior

engine

hood will be able to open, possibly the trunk also

tires and rims

rear bumper

spare tire carrier

and much more customizing.

It is most likly an early AMT kit,,,,they were ot terribly fussy about the frame details and I think they used the same basic frame on everything,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I could be wrong but if I remember right they just figured getting the body close was enuff................ :P It is a styrene car so very little warping if any,,,should be a great build when you are done

You might consider a 59 chevy for a donor car for all the goodies................

It is most likly an early AMT kit,,,,they were ot terribly fussy about the frame details and I think they used the same basic frame on everything,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I could be wrong but if I remember right they just figured getting the body close was enuff................ :P It is a styrene car so very little warping if any,,,should be a great build when you are done

You might consider a 59 chevy for a donor car for all the goodies................

As a matter of fact, I am using a '59 Chevy Impala Convertible.

I have one of the "Boondock Bomber" hardtop re-issues. It had those Friction Promo

axles too.

Even Promos I have without a friction driver have that type heavy axle.

AMT switched plastic in 61, then again in 62.

They had to Paint them for Gloss in 61, so changed again to cut that extra step

Edited by Edsel-Dan

I have one of those myself, waiting on parts from Modelhaus to restore.

It does have those same axels, with the grooves - the kits in those days were essentially the same as the promo, just un-assembled and with a few custom parts added.

Yours is in fact a kit you can tell by the glue, and the custom parts.

Promos were assembled by melting the mounting points with a tool much like a soldering iron, no glue at all.

That is also definately the wrong chassis, the one on mine is much different.

What's the game plan for this one?

The paint scheme is the first 2 pics. The rest is opening up the hood, scribing all new lines, convertible also with a soft top option, and total customization. Chrome, chrome, and more chrome.

It's a Buick so it has to be pure classy. All I can say is to stay tuned.

Edited by HNTR

From your pics, the model looks like a '60 and not a '59.

The 60's headlights are all level across, while the 59 they are sloping up. The 59 is the only year the headlights and grill were of this configuration.

1958 Buick Front end

2812261097_61c9fb0992_zps7a87e8c5.jpg

1959 Buick Front end

1959-Buick-Lesabre1_zpsfe8a0eab.jpg

1960 Buick Front end

7521507324_62257ceea0_zps42f59161.jpg

That front end to me is what really makes this car. It almost looks like its mean. I think the movie Christine should of been this car. Not the "Fury" they say it was or the "Belvedere" it really was.

Edited by HNTR