Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about louvers

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a 58 vette and thought it'd be a good idea to open up the vents on the hood.

needless to say, now i have a big squarish hole on the hood where the louvers used to be lol..

so how would/should i go about creating new louvers? what thickness sheet styrene would be to scale?

I would try using .005 or .010 styrene. The.010 would probably work best. The .005 is almost literally paper thin and probably would be tough to glue. I have opened louvers on hoods by scribing them with a razor saw until I get through, then finish them up with a photo etch blade and sandpaper. It's tedious work, but worth the effort in the long run.

• 3 months later...

Or, if you can find a louvered panel from something else that has the same curvature (or flatness) as the panel you want louvers on, IF there's enough meat surrounding the louvers on the donor panel, it's entirely possible the stitch the louvered area into a carefully fitted hole in your original panel, and fill and finish the seams.