Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 GTO Built 15 yrs ago

Metalmad

Dug this out of the garage the other day. I built this Pro Street style which it is tubbed with a big block & was built in 98 or 97. Added roll bar, tach, hood scope & braided coolant hoses and plug wires. Paint is not that good on this and is a lttle thick on the hood. Will be redoing this build sometime in the future.

If I might make a recommendation? Leave it as is. IMHO, you should have a representation of where you started. Where your modeling skills began improving. This way you can see how much you have improved over time. For me it's this MPC '67 Charger. It is terrible in the extreme, but this is where I first started taking building seriously. Someday I might build the same kit, the same way, but I'll never rebuild it. It is still one of my favorites, despite how bad it is. I would give that GTO a little polish and call it good. But that's just my $.02.

000_0128.jpg

000_0127.jpg

000_0129.jpg

I'm going to quote Jantrix here:

"If I might make a recommendation? Leave it as is. IMHO, you should have a representation of where you started. Where your modeling skills began improving. This way you can see how much you have improved over time."

I think Jantrix is right. Besides what he said, there's something kind of sacred about a model you built that long ago. I've thought about redoing some of the out of production kits I have from when I was a teenager, but I just can't do it. Looking at them, they represent not only my skill level at the time, but that time itself.

Get a new or builtup kit on ebay. There's an old Monogram unbuilt kit on there right now for $11.99 Buy It Now.