Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/24 2009 Audi A4 DTM

BMX Addicts

Thank you Jonathan, this car sure looks like something worth building. B)

Usually like to start by the body, but will try to stick to the instruction booklet this time... It took me all afternoon to complete the first page

photo-3_zpse900b924.jpg

Edited by BMX Addicts

Thanks bud.

Took some other photos this morning (Now that is dry), but my trusty old camera finally decided to give up... Telephone pics from now on.

photo-5_zps7431ea94.jpg

photo-4_zps8b584003.jpg

photo-6_zps0ffb7fe6.jpg

The hand painted stuff still looks a bit crooked... Gotta work on that.

The headers are a two part, gluing them together to make them fit correctly was "definitively" skill 4 :lol:

Edited by BMX Addicts

That's a great start Juan. Don't worry about the skill level 4 rating, I built the white Tom Kristensen version and it simply fell together ;) . Even those complicated looking rear arches weren't a problem. Just take your time, it's not a race LOL.

One tip if I may, you might want to remove the visible mold lines before painting a part, such as on the headers. I usually apply a thin coat of primer to reveal these. They can then be smoothed with sandpaper or a sanding stick before applying colour to the part.

Edited by maltsr

Thanks John... Gotta love road cars!!!, I honestly feel they require a lot more work (As far as decals and detailing) but they look really vivid no?...

Really need to work on my hand brushing skills(More than everything else), but really happy with the progress.

When hand brushing paints I never dip a dry brush into the paint. I will always dip the brush into clean thinner first, this helps to thin the paint just enough to stop brush lines from forming. Also if i'm painting something like a pair of seats i will clean my brush twice each seat, once for the front and once for the back. This helps to keep drying paint from forming on your brush and causing drag marks. Also once you've painted and area do not brush it again since the paint has already started to dry, wait till its fully dry before touching up the paint.

Also the type and size of brushes you use are a huge factor in the finish of the paint. I use mainly a hair type brush. Also if painting a wide or big part i use the widest brush i have to fit the job at hand. I think a rough count in brushes i have around 15.

These are just suggestions, in no way, shape or form am i telling you how to paint!!!

Edited by jrherald420

I am in 100% agreement with James. I do the same thing. The smaller the area, I mean really small like lettering tires, the more I tend to clean the brush. With the drop or two of paint on the brush it seems to dry on the brush faster. Having the thinner on the brush helps to keep it "liquid" longer.

Thanks James & John... I truly appreciate the pointers and I would sure try following them.

Funny thing is I barely use the brushes (Even though I have got the really good ones in all sizes), so used to masking and spraying "everything" that the hand brush skill is pretty much non existent.

The other thing I noticed is the Thinner (Tamiya X-20A acrylic) creates a cloth on the surface of the paints (No matter how well you keep shaking it) and the "other" thinner (SunnySide lacquer), just kills the Tamiya paints... Probably because is meant for lacquer (Duh! :D ).

There is also a lot of caffeine and nicotine in my system (You may be able to tell from previous threads), but if something is certain in life is the fact that I could not trace a line using a ruler and get it straight.

Finished the mechanical rear end, had to use quite a bit of glue to get it to seat straight on the chassi (Not sure if the paints are too hot for this kind of plastic, but is the same issue I had with the Charger).

photo-12_zps3a76c747.jpg

I also painted the body, but is gong to have to be re-done...

photo-13_zps2b5ad1b1.jpg

I applied the Silver first just doing a general area masking, now that the Red is on, you can really see the silver lines underneath :wacko:

photo-14_zps722cac91.jpg

On top of things, I spent all the Red paint.

The chassis looks great Juan. Don't worry about hiding all that detail - if you follow the instructions you'll be able to lift off the finished body/interior to admire the chassis in all its glory.

The body doesn't look too bad in the photos, but if you're like me, the faults will draw your eye to them. I use Tamiya spraycans on nearly all my builds, the red is quite translucent, but the silver will cover anything.

If you decide you have to repaint, spray the whole body red, then carefully mask the roof. I use Tamiya masking tape at the colour separation line, and light-tack 3m (blue) for the rest. Apply a light coat of clear to seal the edges of the masking tape, then apply the silver. This will stop any silver bleeding through on to the red.

Good luck and keep going ^_^. My almost finished build from a while back:

005-5.jpg

Edited by maltsr

I would decant some of the silver and just tape off the red and use a good brush to touch up the silver then clear over it all. Might not look as good as a repaint but with the clear over it it wont look half bad.

Thanks James, I just don't have the color red to match it, but I'm positive it wont go away... I realized the lines were visible while spraying it and went through the whole can in just the body.

No biggie, have an extra body here, I will paint the Red first (As soon as I can go get it) and then do the Silver over ;)

Well.... Another Rookie mistake :unsure:

Primed the new body with the regular Tamiya Grey base because I ran out of the usual Tamiya White Fine Surface Primer... Never even occurred to me that the light gray was going to make such a difference in the final color

photo-26_zps4f4aed6d.jpg

looks lime someone is on a trip down to the Purple thing road ;)

Installed the fenders though

photo-25_zps67a3a9ec.jpg

Edited by BMX Addicts