Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finally finished part two of a combo

JFortner5

Hey guys I haven't been online in a while. I previously built the Dale Earnhardt 86 aero coupe. It was a combo kit that also came with an 81 Grand Prix. I finished it up yesterday evening. I didn't take nearly as many pics with this one as the first, but here it is. I'm pretty happy with it for the most part. Had a few paint issues, my fault for rushing the job a bit but overall it's ok.

Thanks for looking,

Joey

16552EB5-5BB0-4A3F-969C-6DDFF411A020-211

5C0F3835-F67F-4E6F-BC14-6A2B90DC6152-211

4444C5F2-99F5-46E7-ADF1-C69860A4DEDA-211

46D61EBB-B2FE-4F1B-9A1E-5AB8C88CE326-211

Oh yeah you may notice the windshield is a little cattywampus. My wife has been stripping and refinishing a dresser. Well she was pouring paint stripper through a funnel. Somebody set the funnel on my workbench after they were done. Some stripper leaked out on the windshield. It melted a hole through it. I had to cut some of it out. It warped it a little, but I was able to fill the hole with some window maker. I managed to salvage it, but its not pretty lol.

Oh well I'm just glad it didn't get the body.

I sprayed the yellow first on both cars. Then I masked it off the best I could using body lines and the instructions as a reference. The 86 was the first model I've built in well over 10 years and was my first two tone paint job.

The thin stripes of blue are decals however. You do get a little bit of leeway because the decals do cover the transition from yellow to blue. The blue is chose is not a perfect match to the decals but its not real noticeable unless your pretty close.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and if I can do it anyone can.

Also on the Monte Carlo the blue on the bottom of the car is a decal.

There is a thread I made for it a few posts down that shows most of the build. I didn't really explain how I did anything, but hopefully some pictures will help you out.

Nice work! Allways liked those blue and yellow cars. But the Fords looked better. :D

I was ways a 3 fan from the time I was about 3 or 4 years old. I still am 25 years later, but its harder for me now because I bleed blue.

• 4 weeks later...