1/25 MPC Mack DM-Series Truck Kits

78 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

A page from the '72 MPC catalog showing MPC's Mack DM-600 and -800 series truck kits and the Gravel Trailer kit:

MPC72cat7.jpg

Posted · Report post

Shortly after tooling these, MPC got Out of Trucks and sold the tooling to Ertl

I have the 800 Semi tractor built New!

I would Love to get the 600 tractor!!

Though technically, it should Not be one!!

DM was the name for the Dumper/Mixer cab!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Possibly.

I think my DM 800 cab has "Ertl Blueprint Replica"

on the box.

Curious as to what they will be labeled as now when re-issued.

Edited by Edsel-Dan

when Model King reissued them they was still labeled as Mack DM 600 and DM 800 . Dan there was DM 600 's in both the fiberglass hood as issued and a short version of the steel hood as on the DM 800 ther was also them DMM series on them. On the 800 series they went up to the 888 which I am working on now . Iam also working on makeing the 600 with the steel nose and looking to see how high up the series onthe 600's went to .

Edited by Madd Trucker

Posted · Report post

Pretty sure that people at Round2 will reissue all of them in first original 70's boxarts with MPC logos (minus Gen mills!)

Sure would like to see the RARE combo box set : 1-0852, reissued...gone for nearly 40 years!!!

Fantastic DM800 Tractor/Mixer/ Trailer kits introduced back in 1971 (DM600 in 1972). MPC did a fantastic job answering AMT, why the MPC truck series never continued??? Plastic model truck kits were booming in the 70's...why MPC sold those molds to ERTL in the mid 70's is a mystery to me :huh:

Posted · Report post

They Sold then earlier.late 72 or 73 I believe.

Ertl continued with the "Blue Print" series Semis for years after.

I built the DM 800 Semi tractor New, but in an Ertl box.

Before High school!

I too hope they re-issue them, But since Model-King got the DM600 Cab re-issued, How long

before that one can be re-issued again??

Posted · Report post

Yep, apparently, the Mack DM600 is coming back in March 2015, another member has an announcement from Round2 for a 1972 Blazer and various other releases (in truck kit news and reviews) and this Mack is on the same sheet. If I had something other than Windows8 I would have posted the link but this version doesn't like this forum for some technical reason.

Looks like the MPC box art too, maybe the dump trailer could be in the future as well... :)

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder

Posted · Report post

That's great news...the Mack DM600 is one of my favorite kits.

Posted · Report post

The dump trailer would be nice.

Posted · Report post

looking forward to it.

Posted · Report post

AMT_02_zps2be46b8f.jpg

Posted · Report post

Looks like they are listening. I hope more Macks are re released. Would love to get the DM800 mixer. Would be good to see the 1/32 trucks done as well. Revell seems to be doing well with their 1/32 range.

Ben

Posted · Report post

I loved the old Ertl Blueprint series truck kits as a kid...still do...they were always a joy to build. Maybe someday they can bring back these for us....

Mack Rubber Duck

Kenworth Mixer

International 4070A COE

and others.

I loved the old Ertl Blueprint series truck kits as a kid...still do...they were always a joy to build. Maybe someday they can bring back these for us....

Mack Rubber Duck

Kenworth Mixer

International 4070A COE

and others.

I would not bother with the rubber duck. It's nothing like the real one. Just my opinion. Great call on the 4070A and KW mixer though.

Ben

Edited by Bennyg

Posted · Report post

I would love to see all the Macks re-released,i agree on the Rubber Duck kit, Ertl's version was based on their DM-600 kit,while the movie truck was in actuality a RL-700L,which at the time AMT had the licensing agreement on the R-Series Macks. I would also love to see the IH Transtar re-released,those kits were a true joy to build........................................Mack

Posted · Report post

The one thing to keep in mind is that the DM600 and DM800 share a quirk between then. The chassis is closer to 1/24 than 1/25. The treat width is about an 1/8 inch to wide. If you have an AMT Mack R685ST, you can place the chassis tires-to-tires and you will see the difference. Of course one advantage of the too wide tread width is that these chassis mack great donors for AITM Mack conversions. I have taken the cab and hood from the DM600 and the chassis from the R685ST and made an accurate U600 tractor.

A.J.

Posted · Report post

I wasnt really interested in this rerelease, till i got to thinkin about it as donor. I personally think that the D-model looks goofy with the offset cab, except when its a mixer or a dump truck. It makes a great base for a conversion. Ill get a few and give Dave at AITM some more business for sure.

Posted · Report post

I suppose you could always make it a short-hood U-series.

Posted · Report post

I personally can't wait! Use the running gear on a Mack r model cab and hood I have sitting here with no frame. Make it more of a heavy hauler!! I think a dm600 roll off garbage truck would be cool too

Posted · Report post

Sign me up for three of the combination kits for 10 bucks as seen in the very first post of this thread lol! Those prices would be great!

Posted · Report post

Sounds good to me!

Mack Rubber Duck

Kenworth Mixer

International 4070A COE

and others.

As several here already have said the Rubber Duck kit is all wrong , the only usable parts are some of the decals, the front bumper/push bar, the air foil on the roof and duck hood ornament, the rest of the parts are not right if you want to replicate the movie truck...I had one back in the day and gave up on it as it didn't look anything like the movie truck.

Maybe Round 2 could do a parts pack with these parts and decals instead to use with the AMT R600, maybe do a longer R700 hood, a new larger double bunk Able Body sleeper and 2-hole budds and we are much closer than with the DM600 based Rubber Duck kit.

But...the Kenworth Mixer...that kit was not part of the Ertl Blueprint line after what I know...it was an AMT truck.

The Ertl Blueprint Mack DM800 and International Paystar 5000 were released as concrete mixers.

Edited by Force

Posted · Report post

I never really liked this kit . Do you all think AMT will bring back the Mack R ?

Posted · Report post

I'll buy a mack dm600, but I'm just hoping they re-release the kenworth movin' on. Or even release a bison or general. All in good time I suppose.