Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making A Small Sanding Block!

I'm going to show for those that are not aware of, a little tip on how to make a cheap and very useful sanding block using a piece of plastic struct square tubing and whatever grit of sandpaper. I have used this trick for many many years.

First off get yourself some plastic struct square tubing. It comes in different sizes and follow these tips and you'll havesanding blocks for sanding small items that will last for some time.

* Also when one side wears out, just flip it over and use another side.
* Checkout attached photos of this tip. Good luck!

1. Pick a couple sizes of plasticstruct that suit you.
2. Sand one side of the plasticstruct your using a little flatter then it is.
3. Get some sand paper and use whatever grit that you suits you.
4. Use super glue, put it on tubing and spread around with a toothpick covering
the bottom completely.
5. Lay the plasticstruct down on the sanding block and wait a few minutes.
6. Trim around the sanding block with exacto knife.
7. Homemade sanding block.

8. You can also use a piece of metal tubing?

post-11933-0-03171100-1367257970.jpgpost-11933-0-83639600-1367257987_thumb.jpost-11933-0-29017900-1367258007_thumb.j

Edited by goodguyinar416

I bought some Dollar Tree Toothbrushes and cut/ burned all of the bristles off. I then glued some sandpaper (whatever grit you want) to the toothbrush. Once it wears out, you can either glue on another patch or tear it off.

You can buy 6 brushes for $1 so I keep a wide array of sandpaper brushes on hand for those hard to reach spots. Just my $0.02.

For small sanding blocks, I just cut whatever size I want from a sanding stick. They work great! My wife is a beautician. So, I have an unlimited supply of them.

Snag an old AMT Styline kit - they had a neat little sanding block in them. I have the one out of the 61 ford, it's not just flat sides it has rounded corners, I think each corner is a different radius. Neat little tool that I couldn't live without.

Snag an old AMT Styline kit - they had a neat little sanding block in them. I have the one out of the 61 ford, it's not just flat sides it has rounded corners, I think each corner is a different radius. Neat little tool that I couldn't live without.

I'm gonna have to dig that kit out!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also use a block eraser as a smallish sanding block. Mine says "Mars radiergumi," but the ever popular pink pearl eraser should work well too.

I remember those from my drafting days.. Mars is a German drafting supply company, "Radier" means to rub out, and "Gumi" actually "Gummi" is rubber. You know those Gummy Bears? Americans renamed the product here, they are actually called "Gummi Baren" in Germany... Rubber Bears.