Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford sedan "Root Beer Float"

crazyjim

I was so impressed with James Ries (James2) "Surf Rod" '32 Ford sedan that I wanted to build something similar. I've build full fendered cars of this period, so this is a little out of my comfort zone. Anyway, here it is. Root Beer Float is painted in HOK root beer kandy over a stratto blue basecoat. Interior and roof are done in Model Master light ivory and dark tan. Hence, the "Root Beer Float" name. The flatty engine is there but has Ardun heads and a FHP distributor. Interior is from the kit but I added Buick GSX door handles. The rear end is filled with taillights down low. Rear tires are MA's Resin massive M/T Sportsman's.

001.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

Thanks, Slusher. MM is good stuff.

Raskoraz - The engine and interior are Testors Model Master light ivory and dark tan. The heads are my resin castings and were primed with Dupicolor white sandable primer. Most everything else is brush painted without any primer. The body was primed in Duplicolor grey sandable primer. Please ask if you have more questions that I can answer.

I use the Testors brand for most parts and Tamiya primer and lacquer for the paint. I am curious as to how you prep your body work. I usually sand the body with some 1200 grit sand paper, then prime and paint. I get a smooth finish, but never that mirror glossy finish. And I have tried to sand the primer with 2000 grit and it still wears away the primer.

Thank you everyone. Using an excellent kit makes things easier.

Raskoraz - I use the same body prep on all my builds. Wash & wet sand with 400, prime with Duplicolor sandable primer, sand again with 400, prime and shoot paint. I use HOK paints 99.9% of the time. The glossy shine comes from the Nason 2 part urethane clear that gets wet sanded with a 2400 thru 12,000 grit pads, polished with Novus #2 and then a coat of The Treatment Model Car Wax.

Nice job Jim. I like your two tone interior and the paint on the body is perfect. It almost looks black in the photos if I didn't know better. The Ardun engine treatment is a nice touch. I love this body style and still do not have one in my collection.

Thank you guys.

A friend asked that I cast the Ardun heads for him. I've added them to the arsenal at Crazy Scale Auto Parts.

It seems that lots of the parts in the sedan kit are from the Revell 5 window coupe kit. Both are very nice kits.

I ordered one of those portable picture taking things and hopefully it'll help my pics to show the real color.