Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Marmon

As a model builder (not kit collector) I want either a cat or a dog. Not a catdog. Marmon would be cool model. If it was Marmon. This is just another Peterbilt 359 with different decals and wrong grille.

It´s a shame that the truck model sector is being so overlooked. Compare it with the other sectors of plastic kits modeling. How many new kits there is each year of armoured vehicles, battle tanks and such in 1/35 scale. The level of accuracy and details is just awesome. No problem in new tooling at all. I know, it´s about a trade share and competetion and maybe more important these days - licensing. But I still think that the kit manufacturers could do a lot more in our benefit than they do. While the war birds, tanks and subs are treated as models, the trucks are handled just like toys for kids who don´t care that much. Thank god for the few exceptions like Italeri´s Petes, Moebius´ Lonestars and Prostars and such.

The idea of mainstream transkits doesn´t sound that bad to me. Provide me with a set of correct wheels, generic axles, a few kinds of suspension, a choice of engines and I am a happy man. I can make a frame of my own.

Man, I do like the transkit idea......I know the aftermarket does a lot of these, but when you're on a budget, $150 resin kit ain't gonna cut it with the wife.....More often than not, even at the high prices the big boys sell complete models, they're still cheaper than resins......So, I'm all over it......Nothing against you guys that do them, because I'm sure it is a lot of work, and your efforts should be rewarded, but styrene is just easier to mess with than that stuff....

It's funny....I've been building kits for years and only since I found "y'all" :D did I figure out what kits were "off" and what were "on" and what were "in between".....Rocked my world.....

Im with you JT. I had no idea some trucks were so bad. And you know what, it still doesnt bother me. Ill build the kit that i buy and build it my best. I have a couple of resin conversions. Like you said, we try to get by on a budget without makin wife too mad. Im sure you, like me, spend a little more than we should sometimes. I would love to have a Bill Signs Pete or a Can-Do wrecker or an Autcar tractor, the wife would kill me if i paid those prices. I would like more, better truck kits. Unless i win the lotto, im quite content with i can afford.

Hey.....There you go, Clayton.....That's what I'm saying.....I really like this hobby, but I can't let it put me in the poor house.....It has made a little money, here and there, and I made sure my wife knew about it..... ;) So, if I can bring in a $100 for something every now and then, she'll tolerate my indulgences.....Even if it was selling a kit that I paid $90 for and with shipping I lost money.....That part I keep to myself..... lol..... :D But....She ain't gotta know that.....

Edited by kilrathy10

I guess someone could make an inexpensive cab conversion to make this kit a lil mo better. And that would make it a good situation. Ive wanted one of Daves Marmons, but its in line behind about 15 of his other kits. At $80 a pop, I cant buy as many as I used to. Theres too many Autocars to build!! I dont know what the price on this re-issue will be, but to add a correct cab for a few dollars more would be the way to go.

Your wrecker kit is a perfect example of an inexpensive way to improve an already pricey kit.

Yes conversion cabs are an excellent choice to improve a kit like this Marmon, or an updated pete cab for the italeri pete, or the hood conversions for the other italeri pete. I know there are a few who "accurate", but i think just improving whats already available or going to be, is the way to go.

And it just dawned on me that if they're just going to add this and that to an existing kit......Why not a flippin' Pete 379 or 389, for that matter.....HOW HARD COULD IT BE!!!!!?????

Now there's a transkit for you.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Well, for a minute I considered scratchbuilding a cab to cast a replacement conversion, until I noticed that the hood is wrong also(never really looked). So thats means a cab and a hood, which Dave already makes, so Im gonna pass. But, after digging back through my Marmon photos I found a model that I like much better. I dont know the model number, but it has a KW hood and me likes it. So, I will definitley be building one of these

DBE2F79C-10DE-4D69-A556-BCFFD3D61E85_zps

As for the Revell reissue, look at it for what it really is. They are reissuing the Pete 359. In a Marmon box. The kit contains the Pete grill as well as the Marmon grill, so if nothing else its a new Pete kit.

Dont know how it would line up, but WHAT IF you put a IH 4300 Transtar or Paystar 5000 cab with W900 hood? Seems like it would get you in the ballpark.

thats the plan. The cab would have to be narrowed a pretty good bit, but thats how I would go about it. Ive seen a Marmon build on another forum with a Paystar cab and it looks great.

This is just a reissue, it's existed in this Marmon format before. Pour plastic in mold, put in box, step 3 - Profit!

Revell AG IS doing a brand new tool fire apparatus. Sure it's not an American truck, but then it is Revell of GERMANY after all. Sort of an indictment of the U.S. kit companies that people are getting steamed the German and Italian companies aren't making new kits of American Class 8 trucks.

Beyond all of that with the whole "Share Your Dreams" thing, I thought it was universally agreed that any model company has their next 12-18 months already planned. I think you guys are expecting a bit much that they start an R&D project for kit ideas and then y'all are indignant they aren't bringing those projects to market in 5 months.

Edited by niteowl7710

This is just a reissue, it's existed in this Marmon format before. Pour plastic in mold, put in box, step 3 - Profit!

Revell AG IS doing a brand new tool fire apparatus. Sure it's not an American truck, but then it is Revell of GERMANY after all. Sort of an indictment of the U.S. kit companies that people are getting steamed the German and Italian companies aren't making new kits of American Class 8 trucks.

Beyond all of that with the whole "Share Your Dreams" thing, I thought it was universally agreed that any model company has their next 12-18 months already planned. I think you guys are expecting a bit much that they start an R&D project for kit ideas and then y'all are indignant they aren't bringing those projects to market in 5 months.

I know this is a truck post and I mainly model trucks, but the odd thing did come true for car people. I'm stoked about the porsche 918 for one. I don't mind the idea of the BMW i8 as well. Would really have loved a new Mack or Kenworth. The marmon is such a waste of good plastic. I would have rather seen the KW T600.

Cheers.

Ben

Just because the 918 was a popular request, doesn't mean it wasn't already planned. I'd expect Tamiya will do one too, and highly doubt they base their kit development on Revell AG websites.

I was rather surprised to see the Marmon come back, being the universally loathed kit that it is...

Edited by niteowl7710

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know how it would line up, but WHAT IF you put a IH 4300 Transtar or Paystar 5000 cab with W900 hood? Seems like it would get you in the ballpark.

You known you could be onto something some small modifications to get them to line up properly. Those were the years like my dad had.. Classic style but the door seals leaked air so bad.. Ahh good times

• 4 months later...

Marmon modified trucks from kenworth, western star, freightliner and peterbilt. A guy up here has one he bought new in mid 80s and it looks just like the Pete on that box. (Different paint) of course so I don't know why you guys are getting all worked up. They were basically a coach builder and you could get whatever you wanted. True piece of trucking history

I'm getting one, mostly for amusement. But I might get more. Ignore the Marmon hood, grille, and graphics, and it still comes with all the parts to build a very nice Pete 359.

Ha, hypocrite. The Italerii trucks aren't good enogh but the Marmobilt is!

Marmon modified trucks from kenworth, western star, freightliner and peterbilt. A guy up here has one he bought new in mid 80s and it looks just like the Pete on that box. (Different paint) of course so I don't know why you guys are getting all worked up. They were basically a coach builder and you could get whatever you wanted. True piece of trucking history

Marmon used cabs from different manufacturers and built there own trucks. They wern't modified from other makes, they were custom built trucks. I don't remember them using Western Star cabs, can you provide a picture? Which cab was it, Heritage or Constellation? It might just help those of us that are getting "worked up".....

Edited by Modeltruckbuilder