Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting ready to use it for the first time. Can you change the shade by using gloss, semi gloss or flat blacks under polished aluminum. I also have the airframe aluminum. I am building the Chalanger 1 with the 4 engines and would like to break up the colors of all the aluminum. I also have the magnesium. This kit is one of my holy grails! Also getting the blue from MCW hope it will be as nice as it is in my mind!

Welcome to the forum! You won't change the shade by altering the sheen of the basecoat. You'd be better off mixing two Alclad colors together to get slightly different shades. I don't know if Polished Aluminum and Airframe Aluminum would be worth mixing together, but adding the Magnesium to either Aluminum will give you a darker shade. You can use straight Aluminum and two darkened shades (for a total of three shades) and that will go a long way toward breaking up the monochromatic look.

A flat base coat would simulate a rough cast appearance to the metal, so if you have a part that is supposed to be a bare Aluminum casting, like some transmissions, it would be appropriate.

You can change the appearance of Alclad somewhat by changing the color of the basecoat. For instance, using gray, white, or even blue instead of black. You'd have to experiment a little to see what happens with the different basecoat shades to decide if it's something you can use on your model. Hope this helps.

Thank you Chief for the ideas! I will give them a try. Due to medical problems I am away from the bench right now. I have the chrome striped and a little more prep work and the parts will be ready to spray. So when I can I will get back to work (or is it play). Any way I will let you know how it comes out. By the way love your pic!

I would always use a shiny base for Alclad. They recommend black, but I've seen a slightly different tone using Duplicolor medium blue under it, probably the difference you are looking for. You can also take some extra parts and try some other undercoats. It's fun to experiment.

Another avenue for metallic tones is the Testors Metalizers. I have the full set in spray cans just to be able to give under hood and chassis elements that difference in color to set them apart.

I would always use a shiny base for Alclad. They recommend black, but I've seen a slightly different tone using Duplicolor medium blue under it, probably the difference you are looking for. You can also take some extra parts and try some other undercoats. It's fun to experiment.

Another avenue for metallic tones is the Testors Metalizers. I have the full set in spray cans just to be able to give under hood and chassis elements that difference in color to set them apart.

Shiny black base for high shine Alclad products(chrome, polished aluminum, etc), and primer base for regular finishes. You can change the base color for some variations in sheen and color or, as stated above, mix Alclad paints for different hues.

As far as the Testors Metalizers - they are nice but are fragile - the paint will pull off with tape very easily, so if you need to do any masking around the parts, I would use Alclad.

You don't need a black base for the Testors Metalizers - I usually just primer and paint but I have also sprayed it directly on bare plastic with good results.