Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mk.2 Guh-Tuh-Aye.

Revell's Mk.2 Golf kit. I'm buying a real one in about a years time or so, so this'll be how I want mine.

Interior started and mocked, still needs more work obviously.

8698973257_9b944a3fe6_b.jpg
8698973055_53d1ab828e_b.jpg

That infamous grille:

8700094668_15bfcc93e5_b.jpg

Bumpers:

8698972611_cfcfd4fe4b_b.jpg

The wheels, stolen from a Layton House Fujimi Mercedes 190E Cosworth:

8698972437_6a5f93859b_b.jpg

And I've done something that I don't believe I've seen on a Mk.2 model before, but that's mostly because I haven't really looked :P

8698972279_929d7d2447_b.jpg

8698971995_b9f3655941_b.jpg
Sunroof!
Anyways, these are veeeeeeery early days yet. This is gonna be a slow build, I want it to be perfect, plus exams are coming up now, but then I'll have aaaall summer to work on it.
Thanks for looking, all comments appreciated!

Yeah, I had been checking them out, but I was worried about size in scale. Golfs tend to have 15s in real life, I think 17s might be a touch too big... But thank you for the suggestion. :)

If you like, I can try to take a picture of them in the fenderwell of my Golf. Was going to use them there, or on my Fujimi CRX

Hey,

I'm painting it Tamiya Mica Red, hopefully as close as I can get to VW's Tornado Red.

Mica red is a fine metallic, while OE VW Tornado red is not...but the mica will look good on it with those BBS's regardless.

Jason's right as well, the VW badge on all the Mk2 GTIs were black, while the standard Golfs had chrome ones

Thanks for the pics! Personally, I still think them a bit too big. I'll probably stick to the wheels I have.

And thanks for the tips, I'll probably change the badge back to black.

It won't be 100% accurate, because I'm gonna be using some artistic licencing.

Cheers!

The taillights were done with Tamiya clear acrylics painted onto the inward facing side, and after it had dried I brushed over that with Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminium. Then on the outward side, I did the black lines with a fine permanent marker. :)

I plan on using the wheels. I'm working on shortening the mounts on the car, and shortening the inside of the wheels, making them stick out less. It seems to be working so far! I bought the kit at my local hobby store.

post-11194-0-26766900-1368217517_thumb.j

Yes, the kit supplied grill does read 16V, but the motor is the standard 8V 1.8 L four. I WISH the kit had correctly modeled the Valvoline racer, but ah well. Fujimi's MK 2 GTI has the coke bottle hubcap wheels of the 1:1 car. I'm thinking of swapping them in as I think the wheels I used look a tad bit big.