Model Cars Magazine Forum

MG K3 racing team facilities circa 1935

kennb

Going back to 1935 at the MG board room. In 1935, Nuffield sold the MG Car Company to Morris Motors and it was this rationalisation that lost MG its autonomy. Cecil Kimber was instructed that Abingdon was to return far higher profits and as a result the racing programme ceased with immediate effect. With this in mind a small group of employees wanted to continue with the racing. They got together and using the now proven K3 for the base they and set out looking for a place to have for thier shops. In Devonshire they found an older industrial building that needed work and supplyed a place to hold the 3 K3's and extra mechanicals they needed for racing. There was a loft to hold spares and bits plus a spot to build the engines, frames and repair the bodies as needed. There were not a lot of windows but had a big carriage door at one end to provide access...The photos shows the interior as they found it before they cleaned it out.

MG_4303_zpsb88df6db.jpg

MG_4320_zps9f1bc8fd.jpg

MG_4341_zpsac4e99c7.jpg

MG_4353_zpsd73fd73e.jpg

Over the next year we will explore the refurbishing of the shop and building the race team of 3 K3's with spares and bits and their work in the shops.In the diorama section We will see the shops taking shape and in the workbench section the K3's will get built up. The cars are all going to be cast resin "kits" to show how they got the parts needed from MG. Frame rails, mechanicals, bodies, and special racing tires along with a supply of wires and a lacing shop to repair and straighten the wires. I will keep with the "scratching the surface" for this build along with others as I go along and the completion of the Bentley, of course.

DSCN4597_zps6b5a6e3a.jpg

Again thanks to all my followers and those that comment,,,,that is what keeps me going :rolleyes:

Edited by kennb

After a few days of hard cleaning and some paint the crew started to get the garage into shape.....Now they need to get the wiring and othe things put in......the loft still has a ways to go but that will have to wait.

DSCN4609_zps41eabbe6.jpg

DSCN4611_zpsd7f94e9c.jpg

:P

WOOD GRAINING PLASTIC...

DSCN4626_zpsa73c7f60.jpg

GARAGE DOOD JAMBS AND DOORS,,,,

DSCN4631_zpsd9cd0c23.jpg

DSCN4632_zps8aba1dab.jpg

MAKING IT OFFICIAL................. :rolleyes:

DSCN4633_zpsd98b04c0.jpg

tHANK YOU FOR THE COMMENTS AND INTERST,,,THIS IS A LONG TERM PROJECT THAT WILL REQUIRE OVER 1 THOUSAND CASTINGS,,,,, :blink:B)

Iuse what I have at hand, in this case I ended up needing to obtain more than what I have ,,,,,have you tryed to buy just straight legos recently,,they only do fancy kits now. :P

Thanks for commenting ED..

Two of the team members,,,Bill and Richard worked hard yesterday to get new stairs are roughed in,,,need a railing and paint....

DSCN4636_zps77c2fdd2.jpg

I know that when parts start to come in for the builds they will come in shipping crates from MG.........

the first one came yesterday way ahead of schedual. naturally. ;)

DSCN4637_zps875a0577.jpg

The team got its first look at the custom air compressor they ordered,,,,,,the builder has gotten things set up and just needs to bolt things down and get the plumbing arranged,,,,,, B)

DSCN4653_zps32334dbf.jpg

For the scale the Legos look like concrete block when painted and fit in with any era of cars B)

Since they build race cars here they need to have a frame table so they can refit the chassis with racing gear,,,,the stuff at the factory just is not strong enuff for the riggers of the road races......

Bill and Richard spent the weekend welding up a table just for this purpose out of some I beam, pipe and flat bars the found in a back corner,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :P

DSCN4714_zps7eea0d39.jpg

DSCN4715_zps47d83b52.jpg

Here it is in the chassis bay

DSCN4716_zpsb93cc326.jpg

DSCN4718_zpsf6bf29bb.jpg

You can see some of the frame rails and spring assemblies in place and one of the K3 racing engines in the back ground,,,,These are all shipped in from MG and reworked in the shop.....(everything on the K3's is cast resin since I am making 3 cars and parts bins for the subassemblies.....which means some things will be cast 5 to 10 times...)

Edited by kennb

Bodies came in this afternoon from MG......3 K3 bare bodies that are way ahead of schedual,,,,,,,maddening but we have to deal with it,,,,,,that overhead crane hase not even been installed and we have just got 1 frame set up but it is not ready for the bodies and there is also a lot of work to do on the bodies too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh well...

DSCN4729_zps85313cf8.jpg