Model Cars Magazine Forum

I am looking to attempt a new thing, I am going to buy a decal maker kit for my printer from hobby lobby to do some COT paint schemes. How do this work? are they reliable ?

Should I by the white ones or the clear ones, is there something else i need to buy to keep the ink from running or will clearcoating the sheet be enough. Sorry to ask so mant ???s I have never attempted this before, just want to know if it is worth my while.

It may depend on color of car. I have always used clear but it won't produce white color if I remember right. If you use white paper I believe you have to cut the decal right up to the edge. You also have inkjet and lazer paper. I only used inkjet and clear and only made decals from "word" and then cheap printer. They came out OK but not great. You will then need to coat the decals after printing. Sorry not much info that will help you but someone else will be along with better answers.

Doing anything isn't really hard.

Producing quality Decals is like making Gumbo, lots of ingredients that can result in crisp clear colorful art, or just a dull printed image.

Just like Gumbo, great Gumbo, it all begins with the Roux.

Use the right ingredients in the proper manner and your work will stand out from others.

CadillacPat

I have made my own decals for years. I made them for Die cast cars , model kits and for dioramas. I usually order 5 pages of both white and clear since I never know what I will be using them for in the future. As Cobraman stated , if you use the white paper you have to trim them very close so the white won't show on a colored car. The only problem with using the clear is that most colors of the cars will bleed through the decals if you use an inkjet printer. That is what I use so I kinda have to plan my car color and decal paper accordingly to resolve this issue.

I'm actually in the process of making some decals at home. I'm building one of the Lindberg Charger police car kits, and I'm setting it up as Ohio Highway Patrol. Yeah, I can buy the decals, but I want to at least try to make them first.

I've been doing my own decals for just this past year . Since I primarily do dioramas , My needs will differ as say a NASCAR. I have had GREAT success with a Kodak Bubble jet printer and a downloadable Document program known as Libre . The Libre program has many type fonts and can be had in Standard Black or "colored " depending upon you're tastes . One can also do a "High light " block in a word too. Putting photos from you're computer is as simple as selecting the pictures you want and then "Pasting" the same into the Libre program .

1932ChevroletSeddelanModelTracer004_zps0

Edited by Eshaver