Model Cars Magazine Forum

DIY Glue Looper

So I'm not entirely sure if this has been posted before, but if not, here it is.

This is a genius idea.

GlueLooper_zpse8a78cbf.jpg

Although it is a genius idea... It is easily replicated and/or fabricated for almost no cost.

There is two ways to go about doing this. I'll explain the second way at the bottom of the post.

Using your pin vise, cut a small piece of wire (not sure on my size) and place in the smallest chuck for your pin vise. Tighten down like you normally would and you have this:

IMG_20130502_104609_zpsb32641c2.jpg

Now, take your Super Glue bottle and squeeze some glue out on a piece of masking tape. The masking tape is used for easy clean up and so you don't get hard super glue clots all over your workbench. Once you have done so, you can now use the wire you put in your pin vise as a tiny glue applicator.

IMG_20130502_113339_zpscb96f28d.jpg

After so much gluing, you get a small "Build Up" on the end of wire causing precision gluing harder.

IMG_20130502_113937_zpsc5fead82.jpg

To solve this problem, simply use a lighter or candle to burn off the glue. This will leave you with a nice fresh tip.

IMG_20130502_114007_zps9b00fbc7.jpg

2nd Way:

All of the above steps apply to this technique as well except one change. Instead of using just a piece of wire, you can take the same wire and cut it a little bit longer. Fold it over end to end so you create a loop. You can use a pair pliers to make the loop smaller. Now simply follow the same steps by using your pin vise.

Hope this helps. I know it helped me A LOT!

I cut the end off a sewing needle and stuck the sharp end into a pencil eraser. It didn't work for me.

What do you mean "it didn't work?"

How can it not work???? You cut or grind the end off a sewing needle, leaving half of the eye. You put a drop of CA onto the end of the needle... you touch the needle to the spot you want to glue... the CA flows by capillary action into the joint.

How can is possibly not work? :blink:

What do you mean "it didn't work?"

How can it not work???? You cut or grind the end off a sewing needle, leaving half of the eye. You put a drop of CA onto the end of the needle... you touch the needle to the spot you want to glue... the CA flows by capillary action into the joint.

How can is possibly not work? :blink:

Of course it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the same thing that someone would buy from MicroMark.

Only Homemade.

CadillacPat

I cut the end off a sewing needle and stuck the sharp end into a pencil eraser. It didn't work for me.

I put some CA into tattoo cups, dip the needle in the CA, and nothing seems to happen. Maybe it's just me. I guess I'll have to give it another try.

It sounds like you are using the wrong end of the needle.

Use the end with the eye on it.

CadillacPat

What thickness of ca glue do you use? I have 3 thicknesses, what works best?

I've been using the same needle stuck into a wooden handle for about 5 or 6 years. I use three different thicknesses of CA, too. The thin works the best I believe since it has the least surface tension. It'll flow right off the tiny fork onto the workpiece. The medium thickness glue doesn't flow as easily, and the thick CA barely flows at all-- one may as well use a toothpick.