Model Cars Magazine Forum

building drag strip dioramaS?

I have a build I want to make a drag strip for , so I can take some nice photos. The only way I have figured is to just print out the designs on paper and just glue it to some cardboard. I would Ike something a little more real looking and durable so I can display the model on it. Any helpful tips, links to tutorials, etc would be MUCH appreciated.

Oh...and it would be helpful if it was for 16th scale.....

And it obviously doesn't need to be the whole drag strip, just a the starting line and a little more.

I saw a drag strip once, many years ago, where the builder used a standard asphalt single from a house roof, and sprayed painted it many times to achieve the look of pavement. The many layers of paint help fill in the shingle and made it look much flatter, if that makes any sense.

He then masked off the starting line and sprayed it in numerous coats of white paint to get the build up that he was wanting.

The finished product looked good.

Oh I see. I was kinda hoping to do something that had like tire marks from the burnouts and such. Also if anyone has pictures of one they've made, post em up!

Well, that's the cool thing about using sandpaper. I haven't built any dioramas, but I DID notice while sanding the treads of my tires for more realism, that IF you glue a piece of 180 to a flat surface, and use it to sand your tires by dragging them along it in straight lines, it looks JUST LIKE burnout marks, cause it kinda is.

Well, that's the cool thing about using sandpaper. I haven't built any dioramas, but I DID notice while sanding the treads of my tires for more realism, that IF you glue a piece of 180 to a flat surface, and use it to sand your tires by dragging them along it in straight lines, it looks JUST LIKE burnout marks, cause it kinda is.

Does it show up with the black sandpaper though? I suppose I could paint it gray to make it a little smoother and make it look a little better. Then just sand the burnout marks into it.

It looks like black burnout marks on black asphalt.

Oh, I think I might just print it out on paper and dull coat it. There is something used to make "pavement" you mix it and its kind of like cement. I forget what the name was, but i saw it on you tube, but it was kind of pricey to get.

..... There is something used to make "pavement" you mix it and its kind of like cement. I forget what the name was, but i saw it on you tube, but it was kind of pricey to get.

The model railroad guys use cheap old plaster or drywall joint compound.

http://modeltrains.about.com/od/layoutconstruction/ss/makingpavedroads.htm

Here's a video...

I have wanted to build the DragStrip Starting Line for a long time too. But the problem is, that regular asphalt you see on public roads does look different than the Drag Strip, that has many coats of rubber and the "Track Glue" or what is it called in English?, Anyway I mean the liquid that's used to get better traction. See here:

Trakiya_highway_05.jpg

_smaller.jpg

It's more like "Shiny", but then there are those black stripes on the middle and they should be matt finished.