Model Cars Magazine Forum

THE GRABBER! Jedi Robot Space Ship.WIP 5-19-13

THE GRABBER !!!

This is the story about the Grabber, a Jedi Robot Space Ship! Grabber started as Obi-Wans Jedi Starfighter.

DSCN2173X_zpscd589889.jpg

More Coming... 8-)

Edited by Ira

GETTIN' STARTED!

After building the X-ITE, a Star Trek Type Worker Bee, I decided to make a little Star Wars Style Working Bee. I plan to add Large Robotic Arms and Wings with Folding Solar Panels to the Grabber.

This kit is Pre Painted, which makes my job easier because I don't have to mask all of those little windows.
The first thing I did was to modify the 2 Rectangular Sections on the sides of the body. I want to make them look like Intakes for the engines!

DSCN2305J_zps6342f9a0.jpg

I cut the bottom sections as shown...

DSCN2365J_zpsaf4b6b32.jpg

Here are the Body Parts back in place. The Intakes are now the shape I wanted!

DSCN2369J_zps7fd8a869.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

PAINTIN' THE INTERIOR...

I painted most of the Interior Dark Brown. The inside of the Intakes are done in Flat Black.

DSCN2393J_zps36f2a62c.jpg

Here is the Pre-Painted Seat. Copper and Aluminum were used on the Controls and Fittings. A wash of "The Detailer- Black" was used over the painted surfaces.

DSCN2407J_zpsd1899c31.jpg

Then I painted the Instrument Panels Flat Black, hit the Panel Highlights with "Rub-N-Buff Silver, and then used Colored Sharpies to add Color!

DSCN2410J_zpsc6902a53.jpg

More Coming... B)

A NEW REAR END!

I cut the bottom from the Rear End Part, so that I could change the placement of the Engines.

DSCN1938J_zps5cca8bbe.jpg

I glued the Cockpit together including the top of the Rear End Part.

DSCN2423J_zpsddeb93b5.jpg

I cut three pieces of sheet plastic to form the New Rear End...

DSCN2414J_zpsea28935f.jpg

More Coming... B)

REAR END MODS...

The sides of the stock body hung out, past the Rear. So I sanded off the excess side plastic to make the rear flush.

DSCN2429J_zps81fd3741.jpg

Another View.

DSCN2431J_zps3c49dc86.jpg

Then I applied putty to the seams...

DSCN2436J_zpsbb2cfc73.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

MORE POWER!!!

Two Jet Engines just aren't enough Power for the Grabber. I'm going to add Two More Engines, Clone Wars - Sublight Style Engines on the ends of the Wings.

I started with two F-16A Jet Fighter parts, I think they are Gastanks or Bombs...

DSCN2453G_zps8b2f92cf.jpg

I glued them together and sanded off the Tail Fins so that the Engines are now smooth. Then I glued them on to the Starfighters 2 Bottom Wings.

DSCN2530J_zps2dc434fc.jpg

More Coming... B)

Is there a scale to these kits,Ira? Or do you just match what looks interesting to you? Do they match ANY particular scale? These things are just TOO cool!

Thanks George!

Going by the size of the pilot, this one is about 1/32 Scale... B)

TAKE 'EM OFF!

Here is another Rear View after a little Carving and Filling...

DSCN2442G_zpsaf4dd002.jpg

I removed the 2 Side Wing Mounts from each side with a Dremel Tool, then Sanded the area smooth.

DSCN2494J_zpsb69b4e4b.jpg

More Coming... B)

GRABBER GOT WINGS!!!

This is the original Right Side Wing from the Jedi Starfighter Kit. The grey indented area is where the "Mini Grabber Wings" fit into the Starfighter wings. I cut off the mounts for the Mini Wings. They will hold and hinge the wings on the Grabber.

DSCN2542J_zps5a75b5f3.jpg

Here are the Wing Mounts after I sanded them to fit up against the curved body sides...

DSCN2547J_zps807075a7.jpg

I snapped the Wings in place on the Mounts and then glued the Wing Mounts to the body. Then I glued the Lower Wings to the Wing Mounts. The Upper Wings are free to move.

DSCN2578J_zps22c5f8bf.jpg

More Coming... B)

GRABBER GETS A TAIL FIN!

I cut the top off of a Tail Fin from an F-16A Jet and then I sanded the bottom until it was Flat. I also Sanded the top/back edge of the Grabber where the body halves meet.

DSCN2555J_zps422f41d0.jpg

I glued the Tail Fin in place with Zap-A-Gap CA Glue. This photo also shows the open Wing with Solar Panels...

DSCN2579J_zps34dc0359.jpg

More Coming... B)

DIAMOND BASE!

I used the base from the Sea Quest Stinger kit for the Grabber.

DSCN2741J_zps38bdbcff.jpg

I sanded off the Starfish and carved down one of the rocks. Then I drilled a hole in the tallest rock and glued a length of plastic tubing in the hole. The tubing was then braced inside with a strip of plastic. Steel Rod fits in the tubing to support the Grabber.

I brushed White Glue on the base and the sprinkled sand over the glued areas. Next I painted the base with 3 shades of brown acrylic paint.

Then I glued Diamonds on the base. Now we have something to GRAB!!!

DSCN2746J_zpsb8be509b.jpg

More Coming... B)

GRABBER DETAILS...

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the Gragger and glued in a length of plastic tubing for the steel mounting rod. Here is the Grabber mounted on the base.

The Headlights are Rhinestones from the craft store. The Decals are from AMT's Star Wars Pod Racer and a Robot.

DSCN2761J_zps0156e8c9.jpg

I added Amber Rhinestones to the rear of the Wings and Blue Rectangular Rhinestones for the Digital Hyper Alien Drive!

DSCN2751J_zps1e2596b3.jpg

More Coming... B)

OBI-WAN'S NEW COLORS!

This rubber Obi-Wan Figure came with the kit. I cut off his 1930's style Headset and repainted him. A wash of The Detailer brought out the details and with a spray of Dullcoat he is finished.

DSCN2781J_zps51036ba4.jpg

Here is the finished Interior. It was partially pre-painted, I added several details with Acrylics, Rub & Buff Silver and Colored Sharpies.

DSCN2786J_zps50e365b9.jpg

ALMOST FINISHED... B)

GRABBER HAS ARMS!!!

I took 2 arms from a Star Wars Action Figure and cut the mounts off. Then I added a piece of Plastic Tubing at each Shoulder Joint. I sprayed them with Tamiya Silver Leaf, added a wash with The Detailer and then painted some details.

DSCN2769J_zpsd25c7dac.jpg

Here are the Arms in place. Now just a few more details and The Grabber is Finished!

DSCN2779J_zps4a1dcfb7.jpg

Finished Photos Coming Soon... B)