Model Cars Magazine Forum

gage faces

On ebay there is a guy who sells many gauge faces for various cars, what i do is i make photo copies of about 10 of his sets ( which are about 3$ each) and use them on other kits that do not have a specific gauge set made for them, i always keep the originals as the print out copies give the same results with good photo paper, also model car garage sells great gauge sets made out of metal for about 6$

DSC00271-vi.jpg

It's pretty easy. First, all you need is to print gauges onto white paper. You don't need decals. See the '65 Chevy interior above this. I went to eBay Motors and copied a photo of a dash cluster that was for sale. That's the tip, go to the parts section and you'll see clearer photos of the gauges. Clusters in cars for sale will have the steering wheel in the way in the photos. Then take the photo of the dash cluster and print it to see what size it is. Once you see, compare the size of the print out to the size you need. I usually do my photo reductions in Word, then print a bunch of them. Save the extras for future projects.

I found a catalog of street rod gauges (is it from Mothers?) that I use also. I just scan what I want and print to the size I need.

MVC002F-vi.jpg

As Eugene said, the above dash (from the '79 Ford pickup) just needed some generic round gauges installed. I did that with a photo copy of the round gauges found in photo etch dash kits. It is a bit tedious to cut tiny little circles, (unless you have a punch) but it works. Then I just put the clear lens glue over them for a finished look.

The key is to put the gauges in with either white glue or the clear lens glues available in the hobby.

Edited by Tom Geiger