Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommend a pin vise please

After being recommended using a guitar string as a radio antenna, I got one and then went out and got a drill bit the appropriate size for the string.

The problem is - none of my three pin vices can handle a #79 drill bit. They just don't close up tightly enough.

Can someone who has used these super-small drill bits recommend a pin vice capable of using them. Brand and model would be helpful. Thanks.

Yes, I've encountered exactly the problem you're having. Some of the POORLY MACHINED pin-vises with the knurled collets won't close tightly enough (I've seen them with the slots cut off-center & sloppily cut threads, among other problems) as you mention. I found one several years ago that has hex-shoulders on the collets instead of knurling, and it's possible to get it tight enough by using a small wrench.

Sorry, it has no mfg. name on it, but I'm pretty sure it was a HobbyTown find.

pinvise.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I've got several pin vises, and the only time any of them has failed to hold the smallest of drill bits was when the collet that should close completely for the smallest of drills had some bit of debris caught in a slot. My cure for this? Remove the collet from the pin vise, and slip a single thickness of 400-grit sandpaper (use a piece that is fresh, never used nor folded here), then simply slide it back and forth in each of the two slots. This has always removed whatever tiny bit of crud from inside the slots, allowing the collet to close up infinitely.

Art

My old faithful drill stopped holding 79 and 80 bits. I had it for over 30 years! It had two collets (4 sides). I bouhgt one from Squadron and it works fine although it lacks the feel of quality, it does the job.

Joe.

The Tamiya pin vise is great. It will hold #80 bits with no problem. One very nice feature (compared to my other pin vise) is that the throat (the area behind the chuck) is deep enough that I can send a longer bit all the way back avoiding the inevitable wobble/break when too much bit is exposed.

Oh, and it has a spinning knob kind of thing on the end...

Edited by Erik Smith

The Tamiya pin vise is great. It will hold #80 bits with no problem. One very nice feature (compared to my other pin vise) is that the throat (the area behind the chuck) is deep enough that I can send a longer bit all the way back avoiding the inevitable wobble/break when too much bit is exposed.

Oh, and it has a spinning knob kind of thing on the end...

What's the spinning knob for? I have it on my set and I don't really know its function except to allow for holding on to it while turning the vise handle.

Edited by sjordan2

What's the spinning knob for? I have it on my set and I don't really know its function except to allow for holding on to it while turning the vise handle.

It spins in the palm - my double ended vise spins too, but the chuck spins all the way off.

BTW - I will post my pin vise, I googled it and it seems there is a more expensive ($25) version too. Mine was $10.

Rob - my main pin vise is so old that any markings it had are long gone. It holds only 1 bit and the other end turns in your palm. If I could ever find the same unit again, I'd probably buy 6 or 10 of them. No pic because I'm too lazy to back out to the shop. It's very similar to this one -

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogIdentifier=2&partNumber=581050&langid=-1&cid=PS:GooglePLAs:581050&KPID=581050

I have a couple of those double ended units and hate them.

Edited by crazyjim

Here in my Tamiya:

949509FF-CF28-4DA9-87DE-01B4FBAF68B0-104

Erik's suggestion is good and I have two of these. I seem to always have several different size holes to drill at the same time so I have two of them.

If you are only going to have one then buy this one. Also a Tamiya tool. http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=74050

I am suggesting this for a hidden reason. None of the information that I can find talks to this but the thing has four collets! I had mine for years before I discovered this. It comes with one double ended collet mounted and if you unscrew the swivel end there is a second double ended collet inside. With four different sized collets it will hold anything from and 80 up to a 1/8". Very versatile.

Guest G Holding

I have a large selection, some will close all the way down, some are for stated sizes only.

The middle one has 2 double collets, like the brass hex styles shown I like the swivel heads

IMG_0966.jpg

Edited by G Holding

Mine is just like that middle one. I love it and would love to get more of them.

Can you read a manufacturer on your Greg? Mine is so worn, I can't make out the letters.

Mine too! It is the oldest modeling tool i have and would love to have a new one.

joe.

After being recommended using a guitar string as a radio antenna, I got one and then went out and got a drill bit the appropriate size for the string.

The problem is - none of my three pin vices can handle a #79 drill bit. They just don't close up tightly enough.

Wrap the bit with some masking tape. I lost my smallest collet, but the masking tape trick works just fine when using the bit in the next biggest one.

Wrap the bit with some masking tape. I lost my smallest collet, but the masking tape trick works just fine when using the bit in the next biggest one.

I thought about trying this, but figured the bit would just spin.

I thought about trying this, but figured the bit would just spin.

Not if you put enough tape on the bit and tighten down the collet. There's not a lot of torque being generated with a pin vise. The tape trick works just fine.