Model Cars Magazine Forum

What If Shelby Series 1 Daytona

Brianl

What if Shelby Series 1 Cars had been a marketing success

What if they went racing again....say a GT Championship

Say in an update of the Daytona....With current aero styling....

DSCF2747_zps870eb7ec.jpg

DSCF2750_zpsa763de36.jpg

DSCF2746_zps5a84d9d0.jpg

DSCF2501_zps6568e808.jpg

Body almost ready for paint. Working up the interior at the moment

Suggestions welcome but the wing stays, ugly as it is, to keep the GT3 thing going

Hope its of interest

Brian

Sorry... its the Revell Shelby Series 1

DSCF1848.jpg

The Series 1 was only ever built as a drophead so I grafted the roof of an old & very crude Toyota 2000 kit. The roof profile was very close to the original coupe but alll the window lines had to be reshaped.

Brian

I'm liking this idea a lot. I considered the same using a Viper roof. What color scheme are you considering? I might consider a wing from one of the Revell C5r or C6R kits instead of the straight flat one. Looking cool!

Brian, thanks for finally doing this, I've had this idea floating around in my head for years and never got around to making it happen! To be fair, yours looks much cooler than the idea I had, a straight Shelby Daytona update. I can't wait to see this baby wearing some paint, keep it going!

I'm liking this idea a lot. I considered the same using a Viper roof. What color scheme are you considering? I might consider a wing from one of the Revell C5r or C6R kits instead of the straight flat one. Looking cool!

That idea popped into my had to, using the Viper roof. Looking at this that's what I thought it was until I read it was a Toyota roof......

Following ShawnS again..... If you are not following his build then do it. The craftsmanship on the Falcon is mind blowing & he has done some other incredible builds on our ozautobuilders site. The man is an artist. Good stuff !!!

Thanks for the comments on the Shelby. Colour will be a traditional blue & white like the original (cos I like it!) but a little darker as per the helmet shown below.

For those who want to have a go...front guard extensions are AMT '25 cycle guards cut in half trimmed & filled. Rear guards are off a very old Bandai 1/20 Fiat X1/9 kit.... VERY old. Roof & wing were from a weird Aoshima "Toyota 2000GT Turbo Racer' I found at a garage sale. The roof had to be split & norrowed a little but it was spooky how close the front edge fitted the Shelby screen. Mind you, the molding was so thick it could be filed down to fit anything. I'm sure the Viper roof will be cool too, it seems to have the right profile. Bonnet bulge is the seat back from the kit.

And for those who have thought about this conversion, have a go. You don't have to go the GT3 route, I would like to see a road going version & maybe a door slammer (no kidding). How good would a stretched & smoothed door slammer look !!!. Hmmm now thats got me thinking... might have to go cruzing on ebay after this.

Have a good one

Brian

DSCF2756_zpse28af4e1.jpg

DSCF2701_zpsb61841ec.jpg

Wheels are Aoshima. Great on the outside, pity about the inside. I will have to come up with some inner guards or ducts to cover the lack of detail there. Wheel pack came with tyres that aren't quite wide enough although I have used them on the front. Rear tyres are from my parts box as I needed a slightly bigger section. Brake rotors came with the wheels too.

Thanks for looking

Brian

Man, NICE restyle on that. Really REALLY fine looking mods. I always thought the 1:1 was kinda wimpy / poser looking, but punching out and flaring the fenders to fit some serious rubber gives the car the nads it always needed. Your coupe roofline works well too...got a little Marcos and Bill Thomas Cheetah DNA in there. GREAT work.

Quick update. Interior/chassis almost done. What's left will have to wait untill the body goes on, mainly stuff on the rear deck like the tank & rear cage etc. I have been trying to build an airbox around the injectors too but there isn't much room. Might try some Coke can next

Great kit, very realistic detail particularly the chassis & engine.

Brian

DSCF2783_zps463a6036.jpg

DSCF2782_zpsabcb7f47.jpg

DSCF2786_zps83232a0a.jpg

The engine is almost box stock except for the injection trumpets. The thing that is missing from the kit is the supercharger that was available in the real car. The space in front of the engine is there but.....

Apparently this engine was used in Indy cars at some stage & I tried to copy what it looked lik from internet photos. Had to cut off the ignition packs from the cam cover too

Its a cool, modern looking donk. Would look good with a couple of turbos on it too

Thanks for the interest

Brian