Model Cars Magazine Forum

dirty donny 1970 super bee

I just saw this one at the hobby store yesterday, but didn't buy it. It appears to be a reissue of an older pro-street kit, not a cartoonish car, with new decals in a '70's style like on the box top. The bee head shown on there is on the decal sheet along with some other options. I'm sure someone will post pics of the box contents and decal sheet.

Sounds like a straight reissue of the '90s era Pro Street Super Bee that's been reissued a few times over the years, but w/ new decals. Re: Greg's question--Dirty Donny is a graphic artist that did the art work for the AMT '70s Chevy van last year, that was the first I'd heard of him.

I'm happy as pie about the return of that DOHC Hemi !

Pair that up with the T-Flite from the 1971 Charger R/T and drop 'er into said Charger . The Charger's shear panels need some *shaving* in order to accomodate that big ol' Hemi's heads , but it looks nice .

Than there's the 1968 Hemi Dart ...

• 2 weeks later...

Forget the decals, the Pro Street 'Bee kit is great for kit bashing.

I see from the instructions that you still have to be told to cut chunks from the bottom of the windscreen in order for it to fit.

That should give you an idea as to how AMT view this. Just a quick re-pop with new decals to rake in a bit of quick cash - not worth reworking the moulds to make it actually fit together properly.

Forget the decals, the Pro Street 'Bee kit is great for kit bashing.

I see from the instructions that you still have to be told to cut chunks from the bottom of the windscreen in order for it to fit.

That should give you an idea as to how AMT view this. Just a quick re-pop with new decals to rake in a bit of quick cash - not worth reworking the moulds to make it actually fit together properly.

Yep, it's a good kit-bash kit, good parts kit and a good kit to build. The mods need to be performed to get the updated components to fit the older parts from the original MPC issue of this kit. It's not a Tamiya kit; we are modelers and should expect to have to perform a little basic surgery on a kit (even on some of those more expensive imported kits, and not only those which are just molded in China). Maybe with the money this kit brings in, Round 2 will be able to give us a few more welcome repops.

...The mods need to be performed to get the updated components to fit the older parts from the original MPC issue of this kit....

Not if they modified the moulds for the clear parts?

Is that too hard to do? How many of these have put off inexperienced builders for good because they cracked the "glass" trying to cut it?

And how many people have been turned off due to spray painting problems but the cans stay the same? We all are constantly learning and sometimes we learn from our mistakes/problems/misfortunes. I suppose the molds could have been corrected but from what I understand that could be expensive and of course, that would have been passed along to the "consumer".

And how many people have been turned off due to spray painting problems but the cans stay the same? We all are constantly learning and sometimes we learn from our mistakes/problems/misfortunes. I suppose the molds could have been corrected but from what I understand that could be expensive and of course, that would have been passed along to the "consumer".

Not "could have been corrected". Should have been.

Even you, John, use the term "corrected". As in to put right. Not modified but corrected.

When we buy a new, fresh from the factory model kit we should be able to build it straight out of the box without having to modify any parts to make them fit.

Tamiya can manage it but it seems that Round 2 cannot or will not.

Not to nitpick, but a correction can be performed via a modification, at the factory or in the field.

This is why there are tools available for scale modeling. In this way, modelers can become "experienced" through learning to deal with difficulties that are not expected, in our world of plastic pieces and in the "real" world. They might not be fun, they might not be pleasant, but they can be overcome.

This all comes down to the old "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT KIT" adage, no matter the cost. Even vaunted Tamiya kits do have their flaws, and let's not forget Pocher kits.

But I don't want to beat this already long-dead horse again.

I bought this kit first time it was issued, was at HobbyTown today this reissue is $26.95.... I don't think so. I'd rather save my money for some of the new models coming out this year.

Check out Modelroundup or Tower Hobbies- they might have this one for less and Tower frequently offers discounts or free shipping.

This is also a great kit for bashing as mentioned- tires, engine, chassis all lend themselves to other vehicles.

Edited by mikemodeler

Check out Modelroundup or Tower Hobbies- they might have this one for less and Tower frequently offers discounts or free shipping.

This is also a great kit for bashing as mentioned- tires, engine, chassis all lend themselves to other vehicles.

$22.90 at Modelroundup.

Not to nitpick, but a correction can be performed via a modification, at the factory or in the field.

This is why there are tools available for scale modeling. In this way, modelers can become "experienced" through learning to deal with difficulties that are not expected, in our world of plastic pieces and in the "real" world. They might not be fun, they might not be pleasant, but they can be overcome.

This all comes down to the old "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT KIT" adage, no matter the cost. Even vaunted Tamiya kits do have their flaws, and let's not forget Pocher kits.

But I don't want to beat this already long-dead horse again.

You're wrong IMO but you're right about not flogging the dead horse.

Lets agree to disagree and never mention this again...

I suppose since this kit was issued in the mid-1990's along with it's factory stock cousin, the chorus of complaints has never been loud enough to make Ertl, RC2 or Round 2 go back and fix it over the past 20 years. Both kits have always had the note to trim off the bottom corner of the vent glass, which as was mentioned earlier is a result of mixing the original MPC annual body, glass & interior with the later AMT/Ertl chassis and running gear.

I suppose since this kit was issued in the mid-1990's along with it's factory stock cousin, the chorus of complaints has never been loud enough to make Ertl, RC2 or Round 2 go back and fix it over the past 20 years. Both kits have always had the note to trim off the bottom corner of the vent glass, which as was mentioned earlier is a result of mixing the original MPC annual body, glass & interior with the later AMT/Ertl chassis and running gear.

The Coronet's body and interior are vintage MPC; the windows were tooled in the mid-Nineties for the Road Runner and GTX but happen to fit into the Coronet body (except for the trimming needed to get the interior to fit)

• 3 months later...

I just dug out my Dirty Donny Superbee and wow. If Round2 would have went back and cleaned up the mold for the body, that would have been nice. I could shave myself with some of the moldlines on the quarters of the body/ Don't get me wrong I love having these 60's and 70's Mopars and we need more of them.