Model Cars Magazine Forum

King Cobra Torino

That was always an interesting car, but from what I remember, was a bit too late to the game so to speak.

Someone offered a resin conversion kit, or maybe just a straight up resin kit to make the King Cobra Torino, but I forget who.

Can we get the ProModeler '70 Torino GT kit reissued as a 2'n1 with a King Cobra option, pretty please, Revell? batteyelashes.gif

Ebay is going to be a waste of time for the seller. My opinion of course, but he should go through a major automobile auction house like Mecum, Barret Jackson, etc.... They can advertise the car and hopefully get some big players to bid on it at one of their events.

I have a resin one from Jimmy Flinstone that came with decals too.

Yes mine is a Flintstone one also, with the decals. I have the hood decal on it so far, just waiting to do the side stripes for when i'm almost finished handling it in order to protect them.

That one with the headlight covers looks to be a styling buck? Black windows and no turn signals...

Yes, it appears there is a two-slot style turn signal mocked up on the LH side, just under the bumper, which would be difficult to see in actual traffic condition to say the least. No wonder it looks so good. :D

I see the place in Lenoir, SC (?) carries the NASCAR conversion body and parts, too.

Yes, it appears there is a two-slot style turn signal mocked up on the LH side, just under the bumper, which would be difficult to see in actual traffic condition to say the least. No wonder it looks so good. :D

I see the place in Lenoir, SC (?) carries the NASCAR conversion body and parts, too.

It looks like the left side has a different stripe setup than the c stripe on the right and what you are seeing is the continuation across the front. Torinos of this vintage came with reflective laser stripes down the side so maybe it's a side stripe like those, only in black?

It looks like the left side has a different stripe setup than the c stripe on the right and what you are seeing is the continuation across the front. Torinos of this vintage came with reflective laser stripes down the side so maybe it's a side stripe like those, only in black?

I see the thin stripe just above the bumper now, you're right.

That one with the headlight covers looks to be a styling buck? Black windows and no turn signals...

Agreed,

If you look at the black hood and side stripe treatments between the 2 yellow cars shown. plus the blacked out windows,, the one screams clay mockup.

Plus if you lighten the picture you can see supports just in ft of the right ft wheel and just inboard of the right rear wheel .

Me personally never cared much for the design, but I'm not a ford guy either . But I always thought it looked like a Datsun 240Z and a torino mated.

I've seen the resin bodies over the years and thought about building one just for the uniquness of it , but thats as far as it's ever gone. If there was plastic body kit of one, maybe .

Edited by gtx6970

Funny thing, I picked up an old 280Z kit at a recent swap meet and was starting to think seriously about finding a torino kit to try mounting the front end on. Then i remembered all the other projects awaiting my attention...

About twenty years ago I'm sure I saw one of these on a trailer in Ontario and I even took pics but danged if I can find them. I can remember the four gauge pods in the dash and the datsun-like front piece but sometimes I wonder if I dreamed it becuase I've found no stories yet of an ontario connection to these.

mike

Funny thing, I picked up an old 280Z kit at a recent swap meet and was starting to think seriously about finding a torino kit to try mounting the front end on. Then i remembered all the other projects awaiting my attention...

About twenty years ago I'm sure I saw one of these on a trailer in Ontario and I even took pics but danged if I can find them. I can remember the four gauge pods in the dash and the datsun-like front piece but sometimes I wonder if I dreamed it becuase I've found no stories yet of an ontario connection to these.

mike

You may have seen a '69 Talladega? The '68 and '69 Torinos had the four-pod guage dashboard and the Talladega had a nose cone on it with a flush grill. It was the car that lured Petty away from Dodge for a year or so.

Petty left Plymouth in protest that they did not have a winged car like the Charger Daytona. He went to Ford one year and was then came back to Plymouth when the Superbird was built(mostly just to get him back from Ford).

It would have been very interesting if this car and the cars Chrysler had planed got to fight it out but Bill France wanted nothing to do with that and banned them.

It would make a cool build, I have never seen one built.

This is my kit I was tellin you about the other day. Flinstone kit with the Revell Torino kit for doner. Don't have any of the chassis done yet, just this body work. Still have the stripes to put on it. 035-vi.jpg034-vi.jpg033-vi.jpg032-vi.jpg