Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best 1/25 or 1/24 Porsche 911?

Any of the Fujimi full detail "enthusiast" kits are really fine fine fine. My personal favorite is the '73 911RS. Last of the early, non-crash-bumper factory hot rods.

10022382.jpg

Lotsa parts... p1000296r.jpg

A close second, the '74 Carrera RS 3.0

$%28KGrHqJHJFEFENLH6B43BRIYVeUd2w~~60_35

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I agree with Darrin and Ace, if no specific model , Any Fujimi enthusiast kit will fill the tcket for me have a few stashed away .

they are also seen in Testors boxing also .

Michael

Edited by hvymtl

I've got several Fujimi 911 kits in my stash, as the 911 is a personal favorite of mine. All of the Fujimi kits have one major glaring error though..... the wheel well openings are ever so slightly flat topped, and the real car is not.

Another companies version that I can highly recommend, though simple in execution, is the Monogram coupe and slant nose cabriolets. Best looking 911 kits out there.

Lets also not forget all of the great racing variants. Here Fujimi and Tamiya lead the way.

I think the first thing, as the guys have said, is to figure which generation of 911 you want. This may help:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche-911-generations-the-legend-grows/

Then for every generation there are steadily more extreme versions, usually Carrera, Turbo, GT2/3 and more pure racers.

At one end of the story there's the Fujimi 911R 1967, and at the other end (probably) the 911 GT3R (which is a 997 generation car). There must be 50 kits covering the spectrum from one end to the other...

Personally, my "grail" kit is the Fujimi 911S 1969 (another Enthusiast Model), which I'd make up as the slate grey car Steve McQueen drives at the beginning of "Le Mans". To me, that's the essence of 911, but it's kinda hard to find one...

bestest,

M,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

1. I'm not a car modeler

2. Friend of mine is a Porsche-fanatic, or at least when Porsche is mentioned his eyes light up. I'd like to build a model for him. He did mention considering 911 to be the quintessential Porsche, so that's what I'm targeting - although I can be persuaded towards a different model for a good reason; I know next to nothing about cars.

I need advice on which kit to get.

It must be built as a street car, I'd prefer hard top. I'd also prefer fit over accuracy, on assumption that accuracy matters to modelers, not "normal people" (even highly interested in the subject =).

Which kit should I get (I'm in the US)?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Chris

I agree with what has been said....my 2 cents worth.....

I think it totally depends on your building abilities and skill level.

If you have masters level skills, especially in making little fidgety parts fit correctly after spending major time cleaning up the complicated sprue attachment points, I would recommend Fujimi. Otherwise...

Tamiya regular kits are great for medium to high skill level, but there is a lot of detail painting and masking.

Tamiya snap kits and Monogram/Testors are great for beginning to medium skill level and look great when finished.

I just bought a Tamiya 959 to raid the detailed complete engine and dual Turbo setup!

I'd have to say any of the Fujimi Enthusiast kits are the one's to go for, but if your looking for the later 996 version, the Tamiya version is a very nice kit, not full detail, but does have engine/gearbox detail, also have a look at some of the Revell AG 911's, as some of them were reboxed Fujimi kits, there are marked Revell Premium ...

post-2058-0-12425500-1377348161_thumb.jp

1. I'm not a car modeler

2. Friend of mine is a Porsche-fanatic, or at least when Porsche is mentioned his eyes light up. I'd like to build a model for him. He did mention considering 911 to be the quintessential Porsche, so that's what I'm targeting - although I can be persuaded towards a different model for a good reason; I know next to nothing about cars.

I need advice on which kit to get.

It must be built as a street car, I'd prefer hard top. I'd also prefer fit over accuracy, on assumption that accuracy matters to modelers, not "normal people" (even highly interested in the subject =).

Which kit should I get (I'm in the US)?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Chris

Well, I think Italeri is a proper compromise that meets your goals. If I remember correctly they were sold in USA under Testors' name. But you should be aware because several Testor kits were reboxed Fujimi.

• 3 years later...

Any of the Fujimi full detail "enthusiast" kits are really fine fine fine. My personal favorite is the '73 911RS. Last of the early, non-crash-bumper factory hot rods.

10022382.jpg

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/d/206352-2/1973_Porsche_911_Carrera_Testors_393_24th.jpg

Bill, is this kit the Testors re-box of the above Fujimi EM? Looking for a full-detail 911 kit without the 5 mph bumpers for the stash.

Thanks again. I recently saw a Testors kit (open box) with an asking price of $100.00. Had no idea if that was reasonable or not.

This is what you're looking for - https://hlj.com/product/fuj17005/Aut

Aside from the re-branding into the Circuit Wolf anime series, the contents are 100% EM kit. As you can see the value is about $20. Pretty much every Fujimi EM kit has been reissued in some form or another in the past 10 years with the exception of the '67 & '69 911s.

Thanks again. I recently saw a Testors kit (open box) with an asking price of $100.00. Had no idea if that was reasonable or not.

I recently bought one of the Testors version for about $50 (including stateside shipping) and one of the identical-contents "Circuit Wolf"-boxed kits from Japan, also including shipping for about $50...and that seemed to be about the best deal going at the time.

Image result for circuit wolf porsche 911    Same kit, exactly   

This is what you're looking for - https://hlj.com/product/fuj17005/Aut

Aside from the re-branding into the Circuit Wolf anime series, the contents are 100% EM kit. As you can see the value is about $20. Pretty much every Fujimi EM kit has been reissued in some form or another in the past 10 years with the exception of the '67 & '69 911s.

I recently bought one of the Testors version for about $50 (including stateside shipping) and one of the identical-contents "Circuit Wolf"-boxed kits from Japan, also including shipping for about $50...and that seemed to be about the best deal going at the time.

Image result for circuit wolf porsche 911    Same kit, exactly   

Thank you Gentlemen.

In the interim, I won a sealed Testors kit for $38.00 shipped. Perhaps I need more than one 911 in the stash?