Model Cars Magazine Forum

74 Satellite Sebring Plus

Ayatollah

I'm using the 71 charger for interior, engine compt. and chassis, smallblock from the AMT 71 Duster, I made the flat hood (forgot to photo it). I'm probably using mag 500's with skinny whitewalls, a source for correct hubcaps is non existent unless I master and cast one. I want to do a base model 73 barracuda, so it may be worth it to do a good hubcap and dupe it in resin.

74satellite2.gif

74SatInt.gif

It sure is tempting to do a slant six, but only the very stripped ones got those. I saw more sixes in the 4-doors than these. They all seemed to be 318's. That duster is a good parts kit. Im using the chassis for my 4 door volare and soon there will be nothing left but the body. I should build one of those with a slant-six someday.

74satellitewheel.gif

I attempted to replicate the old 14 inch hubcap that the barracudas and satellites got from 71-74. This has been done with foil, I'm going to cast my best 3 sets and send them to the chromer.

I enjoy this project way too much. If any of you are planning this bodystyle, email me please. --> ten_second_2000_crownvic@yahoo.com.

Awesome work!

Love to see models of the cars that we saw most often on the road back in the day. While it was always a treat to see Roadrunners, the ones you saw most often were the regular ol' Satellites. The thing I find humourous is when I go to a car show nowadays and they're all Roadrunners... even the ones that weren't back then.

Anyways, great job on the Sebring Plus! Looking forward to see the progress as it comes together!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Ghost. I'm home for two days, then right back on the plane...... so I finished most of the engine compartment and glued the major assemblies together. The hubcaps I made are at the plater's, if they arrive while I'm in Cyprus my grandson was told he can put them on and see how they look (send me a pic :D )

74satengcompt.gif

74satellite4.gif

When I get to where I have everything on the body done, the engine compartment walls perfect, I may have it done in resin. Unfortunately I am traveling about constantly until October.

The reason for considering having the 4-DR volare done in resin is that nobody has sense enough to offer anything to the volare fans and the fact that an AMT 71 duster would offer the donor chassis and a nice engine. Also, once I'm done with the interior tub and body, I can do without those pieces while they go on loan to a resin caster (I won't mention names yet).