Model Cars Magazine Forum

BMF some Paint some.

Guest G Holding

Lane , I am not having a good time with your question....Are you asking to use Both paint and BMF to replicate chrome ?

if so, no different sheens, what parts do you need help with ?

I usually use both paint and BMF for achieving chrome effects on a single model... For bigger pieces such as wheels, bumpers and grilles I use Alclad, while I resort to BMF for parts like window trim etc...

Edited by PowerPlant

Lane , I am not having a good time with your question....Are you asking to use Both paint and BMF to replicate chrome ?

if so, no different sheens, what parts do you need help with ?

I'm not asking for help or advise. I was just wondering if anybody else uses paint and BMF

Depends on what I'm trying to achieve. For chrome, I use BMF... for stuff like polished aluminum or stainless steel trim, Metalizer paints buffed out. For raw metal, Metalizers not buffed out or overcoated with Dullcote.

Guest G Holding

OK

I use BMF for chrome. I do use metalizers to replicate billet or polished SS or alum as Harry just said.

Some here make alclad look like BMF, I sadly cannot get it the same...

Sometimes, there are things that are too small to foil so you almost have to use silver paint. Like a door lock for example. When the object you paint is that small, it's hard to tell between paint and foil. If you do paint something with silver paint, do it after you clear coat the body as the clear will usually dull the silver paint.

I almost always use silver chrome trim for trimmings on cars, krylon chrome for bumpers/wheels and Rustoleum Silver metallic on grills and anything that will need to be taped/handles a lot, never bmfed anything

Sometimes, there are things that are too small to foil so you almost have to use silver paint. Like a door lock for example. When the object you paint is that small, it's hard to tell between paint and foil. If you do paint something with silver paint, do it after you clear coat the body as the clear will usually dull the silver paint.

x2

HARRY HIT IT ON THE NAIL.DPENDS WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO ACHEIVE.I WAS A GM PARTS MAN AND SOME OF THE MOLDINGS WERE LIKE A METALIZER OR POLISHED ALUMINUM.BMF IS GREAT BUT CAN BE OVERBEARING ON SOME STUFF.LOOK AT PICS. AND MAKE YOUR DECISION.

Edited by PARTSMARTY

i've seen people use a silver paint pen to paint trim, then BMF over that. apparently it's meant for those cases if the BMF messes up, then the silver underneath offsets that or something.

The Prismacolor paint pen is the brightest I've seen for teeny parts like dash, interior and hardware details. Closer to chrome than typical silver paints. Looks like it would be good for touching up small BMF flaws and chrome sprue attachment points, though I haven't used it that way. Takes a steady hand. Fine Point is PM 118.

Edited by sjordan2

I do both myself. I BMF all of my trim. But, some small parts like door/trunk locks aren't really chrome. So, I paint those with chrome paint. It never looks like chrome,more like a bright aluminum. Sometimes I'll paint the door handles with chrome paint if the foil won't cooperate. I also paint my wiper arms with either aluminum or chrome paint. I've never seen chrome wiper arms on a real car. Unless of course, it was some kind of tacky looking car with the double bladed wiper blades. :lol:

I think the original intention was foiling prior to painting.

I do that for scripts and other very small areas. Foil, paint, polishing and a white plastic eraser like a Staedler Mars brings up the foil. You can also use a Micro-Brush or very fine cotton swab dampened with the proper thinner to remove the paint, just use caution.

Charlie Larkin