Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Karmann Ghia (Almost Finished)

As the model sits, the motor and suspension is done. I will get some pictures of those tonight. I am attempting to get this car done by saturday for a contest. I have the interior in paint right now. I was painting the body last night and my paint messed up. I was using valspar because I always have good results with it. However for some reason when I used a can last night the paint was very coarse and looked like sandpaper. Im gonna give it another shot tonight.

001-21_zpsf1f0a5ba.jpg

Edited by 502

Did the kit come with the piece that goes under the "shifter tunnel / backbone" ? If not needs a piece of sheet plastic to close it off. On a full size VW it both adds extra ridigidity to the belly pan and closes out the elements (water) to the shift rod, throttle and clutch cables which would all want to rust and seize up quickly.

Small detail, huge point of accuracy. I think that you said you were entering this one in a contest any judge worth their salt would ding at least a few points for that. Can't see a kit of this calibre omitting that part of the frame.

Skip now that you say that, yes it does have that piece. I was wondering about what went there, I just happened to over look the part when I was putting it together. I stayed up late lastnight, the car didnt get finished but it was atleast made presentable for today. I still need to finish multiple things on it. Anyways heres what it looks like.

011-10_zpsb9720ba1.jpg

010-12_zps64c82d4a.jpg

001-21_zps3d883706.jpg

Edited by 502

• 3 weeks later...

Take lots of pictures, PLEASE. I'm going to get started on a convertible soon (Gunze-Sangyo), and I need some ideas.

Built this kit a couple of years back and had some unexpected problems, although none that couldn't be corrected. The biggest problem I had was fit issues between the inner doors and the front fender liners but since both are vinyl some cutting and bending solved the problem. I also found that the dash didn't fit well but by cutting some small wedges out of each side of the dash and the fender liners I got it to fit. I also ended up redoing the bumbers in Alclad because of the heavy spue stubs, sink holes and poor chrome. Build carefully and dry fit often and you should have a sucessful build. Most modellers build the Tamiya coupe so it's nice to be able to build this kit and have the conv or coupe.