Model Cars Magazine Forum

31 Nash: way beyond "Rat Fiink" Coupe: new project 5/9/13

John Teresi

The engine details look nice and the trunk area is pretty far out.

I don't understand why the engine is mounted at such an extreme angle though? Doesn't seem like it's necessary for ground clearance or any other reason? Is the real car that way?

Edit - Just went back and looked and the engine in the real car is nearly level and in line with the differential. If you're going for scale fidelity what you have done would never work. Kind of undermines all the extra detailing. Just sayin'...

Agreed.

Wow I've been totally amazed since the start of this build. You are doing so fine job on the little details, as usual. The trunk looks incredible and so does the engine. You do the Weathering perfect way also, I gotta learn something like that. I've maybe asked this before, but what do you use for the weathering?

I was wondering about the engine angle too, but actually it doesn't look bad like that either.

I don't understand why the engine is mounted at such an extreme angle though?

It looks like there is some 'tilt back' on the real car, so maybe John can shorten the front motor mounts a tad to drop the front of the engine a bit:

309.jpg

7167663419_232f9180ee_z.jpg

Many of the pics of this car taken from a low angle make the engine look much more tilted back than it appears to be, and the fact that the tops of the valve covers are higher than the firewall doesn't help with perspective, either. The engine is mounted very high on the chassis, which is unusual, even considering the chopped and channeled body, too.

The engine details look nice and the trunk area is pretty far out.

I don't understand why the engine is mounted at such an extreme angle though? Doesn't seem like it's necessary for ground clearance or any other reason? Is the real car that way?

Edit - Just went back and looked and the engine in the real car is nearly level and in line with the differential. If you're going for scale fidelity what you have done would never work. Kind of undermines all the extra detailing. Just sayin'...

John Goschke, on 30 May 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

Agreed.

Obviously, this car was built to be outlandish, and the high mounted engine is just one aspect of that.

As far as whether or not it would work; as long as the pinion angle and the angle of the engine match, it certainly could be made to work. The design goal for a driveline with simple u-joints is not to make sure the engine points to the rear axle, but to keep the pinion and transmission output shaft at close to the same angle. If this is not the case, a constant velocity joint at the transmission output shaft can be used to resolve the issue. Just sayin' ...

Looking forward to some of your fabulous airbrush work, John

Obviously, this car was built to be outlandish, and the high mounted engine is just one aspect of that.

As far as whether or not it would work; as long as the pinion angle and the angle of the engine match, it certainly could be made to work. The design goal for a driveline with simple u-joints is not to make sure the engine points to the rear axle, but to keep the pinion and transmission output shaft at close to the same angle. If this is not the case, a constant velocity joint at the transmission output shaft can be used to resolve the issue. Just sayin' ...

Looking forward to some of your fabulous airbrush work, John

I do understand how to set up pinion angle, which is why I asked the questions I did. In this case the tail of the transmission is pointed into the ground. There is no way in hell the angle of the front u-joint would ever match the rear. I also don't think a CV joint would live too happily either since it would have to make a hard angle and head uphill to the differential.

I don't think ground clearance has anything to do with it because, obviously, the bottom of the oil pan is higher than the top of the frame rail.

I also understand that the car is meant to be outlandish with the engine a major focal point, which is why it's mounted up high and "in your face." Despite it's height relative to the frame, the engine in the real car is angled to the rear slightly but nothing like the model.

I don't mean any disrespect to the builder, I know that he's very talented. I'm just curious why it was done this way when it's not necessary.

Hello........thank you all very much for the kind comments.......I really do appreciate them :) ........I modified the carbs .......attached and plumbed.......I also modified the rotors and disc brakes and attached...........the wheels and engine just sitting in place,not glued on yet........I no this build is "Not" perfect........but,it is good enough for the girls I go with :) ........thanks for looking.

DSCF8007_zpsd852a393.jpg

DSCF8025_zpsa701ffee.jpg

DSCF8021_zps3fa7d32f.jpg

DSCF8014_zps63fbc347.jpg

DSCF8013_zpsadcd108e.jpg

DSCF8029_zps29ba436a.jpg

DSCF8030_zps9694cfea.jpg

Beautiful job, this is (was, as it is now sold) a local car for me, there are a couple of things to point out, there is a raised panel that is sort of an arrow shape on the top of the cowl, if you look at the pictures closely you will see that it is not just a painted shape it is actually raised. You are very far into the build already but personally if it were me after seeing the car "up close & personal" I would have used a model A coupe for a start as it is extremely close to one of these in person, in fact one of the things Todd had a problem with is that people were always thinking it was a modified A coupe.

For those that are into '60's Gasser types, Todd & his son are working on a '55 Chevy sedan that is just as far out there as the Nash is.

Edited by horsepower

Beautiful job, this is (was, as it is now sold) a local car for me, there are a couple of things to point out, there is a raised panel that is sort of an arrow shape on the top of the cowl, if you look at the pictures closely you will see that it is not just a painted shape it is actually raised. You are very far into the build already but personally if it were me after seeing the car "up close & personal" I would have used a model A coupe for a start as it is extremely close to one of these in person, in fact one of the things Todd had a problem with is that people were always thinking it was a modified A coupe.

For those that are into '60's Gasser types, Todd & his son are working on a '55 Chevy sedan that is just as far out there as the Nash is.

Del........thank you for pointing out the cowl........I will add that arrow to the body........I almost used a model A .......but,this body was a little bigger and I could add just a little more overall detail........I think once the body is painted it will look ok?..........thanks