Model Cars Magazine Forum

1929 Mercedes SSK/710SS

kennb

Qyuickie time.....I am taking a break from other things right now for a quickie.

Yes a kit.....................................modified. I am starting with a Lindberg 1929 Mercedes SSK and changing the body.but not changing the fenders

I want to get this colour and feel

thheejr_zps490ed991.jpg

I filled in the door and raised the boot a bit and now making to top.......

and added the beading to the body and hood.

DSCN4691_zps646d94fd.jpg

I am using real wires in place of the ones with the kit since I felt the were way too gaudy.....so I cot out the center and the hub which will use the ring and hub and tire to make castings to make real wires from......white walls get the ax....

DSCN4694_zps7ad1a64f.jpg[/url

Colours will be as they are in the drawing , black , deep burgany,,,,and gold.

Edited by kennb

Skip ,,,Thanks for the addtional photos,,,,,,I see mine is totally wrong :P oh well.................... :D

Enter the mold for the tires, rims and spindles.................a carefully constructed mold out of legos,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DSCN4695_zps037a734a.jpg

This highly accurate well engineered mold will hold up for about 10 sets of tires,,,,unless it brakes first,,,,,so now I have to make 10 of these :o

I also picked up some black dye for the resin so I can pour the tires the right color and not have to paint them,,,,,,if things go right,,,,,,,I think they will look better if they dont need tobe painted,

The mold will be dry in about 4 hours,,,,,,,,,if i mixed it close to right,,,otherwise I will have a mess on my hands, The first pull should be good...I have to make 2 pours for each tire,,,,inner and outter tire,,,,rings,,,,and hub,,,,,,,,,we will see

The frame and chassis will be black,,,,,I know they are suppose to be white since that is the way the factory did it,,,,,,,but the white does not match the photo(drawing) I am using,

The running boards are going to be hand made since those in the kit are gaud awfull..................the sanded wires took a lot of time and looked ok,,,for most people they probably would go with them but nothing beats real laced wires..........................

Edited by kennb

For those who are interested in building a box-stock version of the Lindberg kit, I found several shots of a very similar car at the link below. Click through the slide show. As Jurgen mentioned in the kit review thread of this subject, leave off the bumpers.

post-4455-0-45886600-1368467089_thumb.jp

http://www.autoevolution.com/image/mercedes-benz-typ-ssk-w06-1928/16403.html#sjmp?slide=1

Edited by sjordan2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...