Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped 51' Henry J

BKcustoms

Well here's my next project, It's a Revell Henry J gasser kit that I chopped somewhere around 4mm and now I'm working on converting the tilt front end into a "stock" one with an opening hood and I'm using 57' Chrysler taillights. I'm not really sure how this build will end up but right now I'm thinking It'll be LS powered and definitely down in the weeds.

101_3051_zps668fb89b.jpg

101_3055_zps4992a637.jpg

101_3056_zps69584356.jpg

101_3057_zps3171461c.jpg

Let me know what you think! Billy

Looks cool. I'd like to see.some better, close up photos of how you extended the rear fenders for the taillights. I've got to do this on my 51 Fleetline and I am looking for ideas.

BTW- I started rebuilding one of these with a removable hardtop. I should drag it back out soon.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

I chopped one of these a few years ago got it to this stage and the paint started to peel off used black from the Kustom colors from house of color then i shot it with the clear they suplled and it made the paint peel off. I have it stripped and have to redo the rear fender wells as I wanted stock looking ones. Here is is in paint before the clear.

IMG_1047.jpg

I chopped one of these a few years ago got it to this stage and the paint started to peel off used black from the Kustom colors from house of color then i shot it with the clear they suplled and it made the paint peel off. I have it stripped and have to redo the rear fender wells as I wanted stock looking ones. Here is is in paint before the clear.

IMG_1047.jpg

Another view

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

That's awesome! I love the color and the chop is perfect.

Ok Here's the pics, I'll start with the taillight how-to.

Here's the quarter panel before anything has been done.

101_3059_zpsb7dc8cc3.jpg

First trace the outline of the taillight onto the quarter where you want it to be.

101_3060_zps3c877d57.jpg

Next cut the outlined area out. (I used a razor saw)

101_3061_zpsca62c4c8.jpg

Now test fit the taillight and file the opening until if fits. To do the point above the taillight I taped the light in place and built up the area above it with filler and then sanded it flush.

This is the opposite side but I did the same on both sides.

101_3056_zps69584356.jpg

And here is the last modification I'm doing to this. I had a diecast Mercedes with angled back headlight lenses so I decided to use them instead of the stock ones.

101_3066_zps456728a0.jpg

101_3067_zpse9686f3d.jpg

And the finished product. (The lenses are'nt attached in this pic.

101_3073_zps220802dc.jpg

101_3072_zpsed1b5e4d.jpg

And here's a shot of the taillight openings.

101_3074_zps00d91f1e.jpg

Thanks for looking, Let me know what you think. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Billy