Model Cars Magazine Forum

The GT race car CBP(now open)

martinfan5

If I might be the devils advocate here, why did you need so much glue? Why not tape them in place from the top, and then a small dot of CA on a toothpick at the joint from underneath?

Yes Rob, from a logical view it would have been common sense to do it like that, but you would certainly need "some sort of deal with the devil" to be able to hold the slat with the tweezer while having the body upside down and be able to reach that far down with a little dot of CA at the tip of the toothpick... :P. Keep in mind the nose is a lot wider at the bottom and the slats are supposed to be overlapping each other.

The excess of glue is mainly because I lack the skill but at the same time, I use Medium strength tire glue which is also CA but gives you about 10 seconds before locking... Because of its composite, you can break it of (Or sand it) because it does not melt the plastic like Crazy Glue or similar CA glues would do.

On a separate note, right after going outside to curse in frustration, smoking a couple cigarrettes back to back and drowning a cup of coffee, I came back to my bench to deal with the problem at hand ;)

photo-12_zps24e20f9d.jpg

I had to cut the decals in half because they are a bit longer than they need to be, but I sure feel much better now!!!

Edited by BMX Addicts

I haven't forgotten about you guys. I'm still trying to decide what I am going to stink up this build with. I have washed a BMW, RX-7, Imprezza, 956, and NSX. The decals on theses things scare me. I don't think they are as complicated as Juan's, but some of them are huge and/or in multiple layers. Yeah!

Doug, yes you may, I would be happy if you did , I enjoy seeing your work ;)

John, we are all waiting for you to join

Oscar, dont let them decals scare you, if you take your time, use the products that help with decal application, you will be fine, like they say, practice makes perfect

I want to try and keep a list of who is building what, I will be adding it to the OP

Tomo, and Juan, nice work so far

Edited by martinfan5

Yeah!!!... I always wanted to build that Impresa (Not sure what is it about that car but my die cast collection has them all... Even the electric track version :D ).

Oscar, build the NSX, other than the PIAA and the 64 on the doors the decals are pretty straight forward, and the kit itself is a standard Tamiya build; The Hood slats are similar to the ones on the Supra (They fall right in place) and the small wings in the front are easy to attach with CA glue... I started this project and left it aside (Mainly because it has the Raybrig decals and they are extremely hard to apply), but some day in the near future I look forward to finish it... Really like the NSX

Did it in Blue Violet (As instructed by Tamiya) but the color was too dark...

photo-7_zps9c570b97.jpg

So I decided to do a custom color (Blue with Red wheels instead)...

photo-10_zpsfd44c6b8.jpg

Right after I finishing painting the blue body I realized I had forgotten to glue the exhaust panels on the side :wacko:

Good stuff gary...

A9E37C55-16C2-423A-9AC1-97DA9ED1C18F-362

Edited by BMX Addicts

That is one GORGEOUS engine, I love it.

Great work by everyone so far!

I was in my LHS to get some paints I needed.. Saw a certain gem in there that I couldn't pass up, and fits into this category nicely. Gonna see about aftermarket Castrol decals - After building this kit before and they went horribly wrong, I'm gonna look for an alternative. And if not, I'll try to do the Castrol anyway.

8830651116_f858766bc7_b.jpg

The engine is coming along nicely Jonathan B)

Tomo that GR5 has been batting her eyes at me for a couple weeks now :D

This is not directly related to this thread, is not up to scale and is a quick fix, but I was just growing tired of not having a place to take photos of the finished models (Nice weekend project too).

photo-10_zps4e14cbf7.jpg

Pretty basic Jonathan... One shelve panel, One tool box liner, A fraction of a wood moulding stripe, PVC Electric tape, Metallic tape and a couple nails.... Only took 2 hours ;)

Always wanted to make a big Diorama, I'm talking a full table piece... One of these days when the stuff being built comes out looking right, I may just make a quick claim of the dinning room and spend my last years playing with it... Something like this (Only mine would have a tunnel):

kalimantan_race_track_publicity_and_rock

I've been watching this for a while now, I really like this idea and being a huge GT fan since GT2 I would really like to join in too. I've been busy with another cbp and that's chewing up a lot of my time but if I can free up and get a kit I'd love to join.

Great work so far to everyone building!

Edit: Fighting the evil forces of typos lol

Edited by TFchronos

that is a nice one Oscar... Good luck.

Slow progress at this end, taking all the time with each piece.. I'm loving the quality of the Cartograph decals even though most of them seem either a bit too short or a bit too long.

photo-13_zps8789d60d.jpg

What are you guys up to?

Congrats Tomo, I hope you will be back soon, you should post a pic of it

Juan, nice job on the decals, its looking good

I have been working slowly on the 88-C this weekend, and here is what has been done

front and rear suspension is almost done, still have some work left on the engine to do, brake rotors are installed, and the seat in place in the cockpit

IMG_0025_zps489d49b2.jpg

IMG_0026_zpsc1132663.jpg

IMG_0027_zps223263bb.jpg

I know its hard to see, but the body has been painted , I used MM classic white lacquer

IMG_0024_zpsb2b6bf75.jpg

and then after a day, masked and ready for the blue

IMG_0029_zpsf0516966.jpg

started to do the wheels, up first the white

IMG_0028_zps80db52ca.jpg

and the wheels with the chrome trim done, and in the tires with transfer on, I have since put some miro sol on them

IMG_0030_zps0af9b8f9.jpg

and sanded the mold line on tires

IMG_0032_zps219d7525.jpg