Model Cars Magazine Forum

The GT race car CBP(now open)

martinfan5

Unfortunately,that RX-7 kit is nowhere near a racing car kit.It's just a street car with the race car flares,wheels, and decals in it.Makes a good slot car body though.

You get no argument from me on that point. Box pictures look good, but as I said in prior post, old battery powered kit. Will get this finished and either a Trans Am Camaro/Mustang or Porsche GT1 up next.

Since the interior is ruined/scrapped, I've decided to just smoke the windows. This once fully detailed car I had planned is now an extreme Curbside: No engine detail and no interior detail.

That left me with the exterior. I'm using Scale Motorsport Flying Lizard decals. There are at almost 60 decals to complete the livery. Decals are applied in numerical order per the instructions. There is a application guide, but I recommend using pictures from the internet as backup, as the directions are extremely complex. So far I've applied 27 decals, and it's taken around 6 hours of work. Once I'm done, the entire body minus windows will be cleared.

f6e840d9-bc15-4fbd-8c33-028f0b5eb199_zps

20130610_010044_zps1802fc58.jpg

20130610_010032_zpsa53cc985.jpg

20130610_010006_zps04546ed3.jpg

Man Arnold! That is looking just awesome.

My decals were not behaving well on the rear quarters in front of the rear wheels and on the roof near the rain gutter channel.

Yours look great!!

Tomo, that Skyline is looking amazing as well! Great job guys!

Edited by Kennyboy

After taking care of some of the over spray(forgot the spot on the top of the fender), started do some of the decals,

IMG_0001_zps8f878401.jpg

IMG_0002_zps6fa15624.jpg

IMG_0003_zps361e3407.jpg

IMG_0004_zps78b5111a.jpg

I still need to finish up in the engine compartment, and the interior as well

Be extra careful Jonathan when fitting up that tail section with the wing on it to match up with the rear engine cover. I recently built that same kit and had a terrible time trying to get the angle right and still get it level. I had to use a dremel and side cutters to trim away that rear bulkhead with the pins on it. I also had to slot those mounting holes in the rear section. I almost airmailed the whole kit !!! lol.. The pics for it are in my Fotki album at the link below. It was one of those 24 hr. builds. I may jump in here on this build soon. Will look it over close and see what I have to build for it.

I sometimes hate this hobby! or maybe I should hate Revell and their pisspoor fit and warped chassis plates! Working on Porsche GT1 Evo and there is no way to get windshield to fit; durn thing is too small for opening. I will have glue ALL over it and there will still be gaps to body. the chassis plate is warped and despite keeping heavy weight on it for several days, it still didn't straighten out. Hell, I was working with my son on his Revell snaptite Enzo and had fitment issues. Front bumper doesn't line up and wheels will not stay on metal axles despite gluing them.

I'm getting off soapbox and stepping away. Back to your regularly scheduled builds.

Hang in there bud... Is all part of the experience :wacko:

I may be the least appropriate person to comment on this because of my short time in the hobby, but I completely have to agree with you on the Revell comments (The Audi A4 DTM fiasco comes to mind)...

Now, I dont think Revell kits are of a bad quality, I just think they need a different building approach, after messing up three different kits I realized they need either a different kind of paint or maybe just very light coats of it (Is a fact their plastic will react to it by either shrinking or bending); like someone said earlier on this thread (Or maybe one of mine), they are hit or miss as far as fitting goes.

Man... These words just make my love for Tamiya grow stronger and stronger :P

Man... These words just make my love for Tamiya grow stronger and stronger :P

I've only done one, but the fit and finish was WAY better than any of the Revell or AMT kits I've done. We will see if that new Mustang kit has better fit than the older stuff does. I guess you get what you pay for.

Well there was almost another airborne GT1! I'm not sure I will finish this beast; just one frustration after another. If I do, it may be a "phantom" test day car. Put Texaco decals on doors and roof and call it done. I would not recommend this kit to anyone who likes things to go together correctly. If you are in to tinkering with fit, warped panels, wheels that don't fit,and bodies that appear too wide then go for it. Will post a few pics once photobucket wishes to behave.

DSCN1392.jpgDSCN1396.jpgDSCN1400.jpgDSCN1403.jpgDSCN1402.jpgDSCN1404.jpgDSCN1407.jpgDSCN1406.jpgDSCN1408.jpgDSCN1410.jpg

Edited by o-man

Nicely done O-Man...looks really sharp. I have the same car but a Tamiya kit.

Here's an update on my GT3R. I sprayed about 9 coats of rustoleum crystal clear. Ill let it dry for a few days and start wet sanding.

I'm close to 90 decals. The chrome on the lizards alone was about 27 seperate decals. Unreal.

20130617_074834_zpsa60e7989.jpg