Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you guys prep...

Like most of you guys on here I try and use a lot of things I have laying around the house. I've herd a lot of you guys saying you use old credit/gift cards, but when I tried to sand it down it seemed to have film on it. Ive used other plastic materials but haven't tried to paint on them yet.

So my question to you guys is, how does everyone go about prepping the tiny parts and different materials like credit/gift cards, straws, the plastic tabs you use to close your bread, etc. Should I be soaking these in something first then sand?

I usually prep everything first with a scuff pad so the glue and filler have something to stick to. Then when finished I wash the whole model with soapy water and rinse before paint but I had never used foreign plastic before.

Any advice and tips I can get from you guys is always appreciated.

I personally think the money saved by using things like old gift and credit cards exclusively for your source of styrene flat stock just isn't worth the effort. Styrene sheet isn't expensive and it doesn't require special techniques and extra time to use.

If you're serious about doing quality scratchbuilding and modifications, I'd suggest using stuff that doesn't fight you.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have never heard of using credit cards as a building material. I have heard of using them to spread putty, but I think Ace is on the right track. Just get some Evergreen. Also-destroy any card that has sensitive information.

I agree with Bill. Styrene is cheap. The very small amount of money you'll save by using other materials just isn't worth the hassles you'll encounter trying to use them.

Styrene is cheap, but if you dont have an actual hobby shop near by its not always practical to get when you want it. I've been using plastic for sale signs since the hobby shop closed. Still have to order shapes, but for flat sheets the for sale signs are great.

The clear plastic lids from old cassette cases are useful for a lot of things.

Styrene is cheap, but if you dont have an actual hobby shop near by its not always practical to get when you want it. I've been using plastic for sale signs since the hobby shop closed. Still have to order shapes, but for flat sheets the for sale signs are great.

Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking around for more material.

I appreciate everyone's input but times are rough and I'm pretty strapped for cash. I can't even afford to send things out if I wanted to trade for materials or different parts. Believe me, I would love to have a bunch of different styrene but I use what I have.

So on that note, does anyone have any other advice?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great season for modeling on the cheap. Stop by a few garage sales that are advertising using a store bought pre-printed sign. Ask if when the sale is over if you can have said sign. They are great sources of plastic and although a lot of folks might save it for their next sale, more often than not they'll let you have it. You can also ask in the wanted section and a large percentage of the guys and gals here are willing to send you some just to help out. ;) I also have stopped where a sign is on a pole but the sale has been over for weeks. Pop it off and move on. :)

Edited by MAGNUM4342